URL resource cannot be added in spite of the permissions

Re: URL resource cannot be added in spite of the permissions

by senen garcia -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, Emma, thanks for your help.

Yes, I have verified it  looging as the user with that role, you can see it in the screenshot attached.

When I try to add it with an admin role, I can add any resources (we have other roles apart form the admin that can add the URl reource too). You may notice that there are other resources that cannot be added with this role.

I have also tried to map the permissions that have anything to do with the URL resource with one of the roles that can add this resource without any success.

I hope you can see anything that I am missing.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachment resources.png
In reply to senen garcia

by senen garcia -
Hello again, some more information in the case it throws any light about this.

We have recently upgraded our platform from 1.9.8 to 3.1.5 and I have noticed that when a new course is created, that role can add any resource/activity in the course, even URL resource, but not in the courses that were migrated from de 1.9 version.

That role is given at category level, but with de permission enrol/category:synchronised granted, although if I especifically enrol it at course level no URL resource can be found to be added anyway.

Could it have anything to do with the upgrade?

Any help would be welcome

In reply to senen garcia

by senen garcia -

No help? Nobody has experienced anything similar?

Please, I'm stuck at this and I do not know where else to look for a solution.

Thanks in advance

In reply to senen garcia

by senen garcia -

I have found a new hint.

As I said the role is given at category level and if I take a look at the permissions report in the category or subcategories, everything is right, but at course level several add resources permissions are denied.

We have many courses in this category and changing the permission course by course would mean a time consuming and repetitive load of work. I guess there is some other way to change that by configuration, because those denials had to be established anywhere (I'm sure the denial was not given course by course).

Maybe it is something that came across with the upgrading from 1.9 to 3.1?

In reply to senen garcia

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You need to look at role permissions.  What role do these people have in the course?  Just the category role?  Or do they have another role too that is overriding?  Unless that role is specifically excluded from each course permissions which would be very strange.   What happens if you create a new course?  

In reply to Emma Richardson

by senen garcia -

Hi, Emma, thanks for your attention.

If I create a new course, there is no problem for this role to add any activity/resource. It only happen with the courses that we had before the upgrading of our LMS.

Anyway, finally I have tried to create a brand new role importing the permissions from the old one and to transfer the users with the old role into the new one and it looks it works. Finally, I have got rid of those permission denials.

Thanks again for your help, Emma.