Grading item disappeared from Gradebook

Grading item disappeared from Gradebook

by Naomi Mifsud -
Number of replies: 6

Hi,

We are receiving queries about "disappearing" grade items from the respective course Gradebook. In particular, disappearing Turnitin Assignment activities. We have Moodle 3.1.1 and Turnitin integration (Moodle Direct V2).

By default, when a tutor creates a Turnitin Assignment activity, this is added to the Gradebook. However, we have recently received queries about Turnitin activities no longer being visible in the Gradebook. We've double checked to make sure that the activity was not hidden or deleted, but it's not the case.

Below please find attached evidence from our latest query. Turnitin Assignment activity 'Final Script Submission (27 March)' was originally available in the Gradebook, and tutors had started inputting grades as per 'Grade history'.

However, the Turnitin Assignment activity (and other Turnitin Assignment activities) are not displayed in the Gradebook, as shown below:

Does anyone know why this is happening and how this can be rectified please?

Much thanks,
Naomi

In reply to Naomi Mifsud

Re: Grading item disappeared from Gradebook

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Have you checked the logs to make sure that someone did not delete the grade item - either on the moodle side or the turn it in side?

If not, I would start by contacting turn it in...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Naomi Mifsud -

Hi Emma,

Thanks for your reply.

Me and my colleagues have went through the logs several times, but there are no records of deletion. Turnitin activities have not been deleted either. It's just the grade item for the Turnitin activities which seem to have disappeared.

Thanks,
Naomi

In reply to Naomi Mifsud

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Then I would suggest talking to turnitin.  Maybe an upgrade on one or the other causes some issues.  FYI - it is possible to just delete the grade item.

by Naomi Mifsud -
Thanks once again Emma.

Unfortunately, I don't think Turnitin will be very helpful with respect to this matter, as the grading item was available and then disappeared within a matter of days, and we haven't updated Turnitin's version for a while .... but I'll contact them just in case.

I don't think it's possible to delete a grade item because I have tried, and as far as I know one can only delete a manually added grade item. Moodle will automatically create a grade item for activities such as Assignments, Quizzes, Forums, Turnitin Assignments, etc. but these cannot be deleted within the Gradebook, unless user deletes the activity itself. Otherwise, user may hide the item from students but I don't think users can delete it.

Thanks,
Naomi

In reply to Naomi Mifsud

by Emma Richardson -

Oh, I guess you are right - sorry, thought you could but that makes sense that you should delete the activity.  Turnitin is a paid service, right?  Why would they not be helpful?

by Naomi Mifsud -

Yes, Turnitin is a paid service but in the past their support was a little disappointing. Although, I have to admit that it has improved in the last year.

In the mean time, I have found a work around for this. I have asked the tutors to add a new grade item and re-enter the marks there. Unfortunately it's quite inconvenient, but at least the marks will be available to the students.

Thanks and Regards,
Naomi