Moving from Mssql on Windows server 2012 to Linux Ubuntu Mysql

Moving from Mssql on Windows server 2012 to Linux Ubuntu Mysql

by Christian Kristiansen -
Number of replies: 1

Hi every one

I'm totally new to the moodle world and have only worked with it for 1 week. And have installed my first moodle server on Linux Ubuntu 16.04.

Now to the question:

I have been required to move 6 Moodle servers (Windows 2012) to Ubuntu 16.02 LTS

On the microsoft side they run Microsoft SQL and on Linux MYSQL.

Is there a guide i can use or some who know how this process is being implemented

In advance thank you !

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Christian Kristiansen

Re: Moving from Mssql on Windows server 2012 to Linux Ubuntu Mysql

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Christian (just for MY knowledge), what is the reason of moving from Windows Server to Linux?

Now for your query, in moodle you'll find an experimental script, Administration Block > Site Administration > Development > Experimental > Database migration.

As you'll be moving OUT from SQL-Server so there must be MS-SQL drivers installed in your host machine, you have to enable PHP drivers/extensions  for mysql/mysqli drivers as well so you'll have all database drivers/extensions for PHP available in your machine (you can as well install MySQL/MariaDB on same machine as they make use of different ports as MS-SQL server).

The tool I mentioned above will show you option to choose from target DB to convert to, can be local or remote machine, like showed in image below.

In above image, my Moodle resides on Moodle server on MS-SQL Express Database, and all I had to do in enable extensions for MySQL to give me options to choose from different DBs.

Just a word of warning, this is highly experimental tool, so may not work 100%, just keep backups of DB or ideally use another machine to import MS-SQL and convert on same machine - thoroughly test and then migrate.

Now as you mentioned being a newbie to Moodle, this above method MAY be a bit overkill for you, alternatively you can export courses with users intact from MS-SQL moodle, do a fresh install of DB and Moodle on Linux/mySQL and import courses way, that would be a certainty that all DB has clean code.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)