Weighted Mean vs Natural TOTAL display

Re: Weighted Mean vs Natural TOTAL display

by Blair F. -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Thanks, Emma.

Even though my images were from the Gradebook Setup page, the numbers still carry over to the user reports and -- believe it or not -- it does cause confusion. This week, alone, I've had 3 instructors contact me asking why their grades don't add up to 100.  Sigh....  

Anyway, I'm taking your tip to use both the real and percentage and/or add the percentage column to the user report and sharing that with instructors.  I still wish I didn't have to do that, though.  

Thanks, again.

Blair

In reply to Blair F.

by Blair F. -

I'm still experiencing this on a weekly basis. sad  

Today's example was a course that uses scales and added up to 1006!

I sure hope that that number gets removed in some future update. 

In reply to Blair F.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

What if you just set it to show percentage and not the real grade at all?

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Blair F. -

Hi, Emma. 

That would work on the user report page, but not on the gradebook setup page. And, of course, we'd have instructors who would want the students to see their marks AND their percentages on individual activities.  Usually, in fact, it's the mark they want to see and not the percentage.

BTW, this is the current student view:

In reply to Blair F.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Just teach them to set it up they way they want and explain the things they can't change.  At first you wanted the marks removed, now you say they want the marks.  Each instructor has control over their own view.  Yes, they see both on the setup page but you would think they would want to see the total points as well as the percentage as that affects their grade total.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Blair F. -

No, what I wanted removed was the total, that's it.  It confuses everyone, because everyone is expecting to see 100 there and they freak out when they see another number (see the image in my post from April 21).

As far as "just teaching them..." well..., I try.  But the problem is there are hundreds of instructors and many (most?) of them, learn just enough to get by (e.g., I've been asked, "What's a browser?"). It's a constant struggle. Anything I can do to make my support calls decrease I'm going to try to do.