User Data Usage with Moodle Mobile -- any stats?

User Data Usage with Moodle Mobile -- any stats?

by Penny Pearson -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all, 

I'm working on a project that is considering delivering curriculum materials to rural users with limited Internet access and/or high data rate costs. I was asked to research how data heavy using Moodle through the app would be for our learners. (They don't have funds to pay data overage costs, or they are reluctant to use their phones for online learning because those data costs can creep up on them.) I have searched through the forums and have not found an answer to this question. I'm trying to figure out some of the design considerations for a course we anticipate will be accessed primarily through mobile devices on the wireless phone network. 

Some of my assumptions: 

• Design the course with few required "downloads" of documents, audio/video files etc. 
  • Use Moodle lessons as they *could* be downloaded by a learner, completed offline, and uploaded later
  • remind learners that they should connect to the Internet via wireless when possible to reduce data charges

Our version of Moodle: 3.2 

Does anyone have ideas on how much data the Moodle app would use assuming the above? 

Many thanks for any answers. 

Penny

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Penny Pearson

Re: User Data Usage with Moodle Mobile -- any stats?

by Juan Leyva -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Penny,

a few comments:

My recommendation will be to download the complete course contents when on-wifi and then they should use only the contents that don't have the cloud or refresh icon (that means that they are already downloaded).

If they see a cloud or refresh icon at the right of a module, it means that it will be downloaded or updated when accessing to it.