Video Embed

Video Embed

by Naci Seyhanlı -
Number of replies: 5

I'd like to know how to play a video inside a course page.  I've set up my OneDrive account as a repository, and have embedded a video in a course page using the HTML editor.  The video thumbnail appears correctly in the page, however, the video opens and plays in a new browser tab when the video is selected.  I'd like it to play inside the page.  I've done this successfully with YouTube videos.  Is there something specific to OneDrive or any other repository?   

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Naci Seyhanlı

Re: Video Embed

by Craig R Morton -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team
Hi Naci,

Can you review your File Resource settings - https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/File_resource_settings - and ensure that Display is not set to "In pop-up".

In pop-up - Same as 'Open', but opens a new browser window to show this file (without the Moodle heading, blocks, etc) - this browser window also does not have all the menus and address bar in it.

Many thanks.
In reply to Craig R Morton

by Naci Seyhanlı -

The only place I can see to adjust the display settings for resources such as Pages and Files, is in Site Administration-Plugins-Activity Modules.  I can change the display setting for both of these resources to "Open", but my embedded video still opens in another browser tab.  I have used the OneDrive embed code for this specific video because the video is too large to upload to my MoodleCloud repository.  Below is a screenshot of the thumbnail I see when editing the course page.  Clicking on the thumbnail opens another browser tab, and the video plays directly from my OneDrive account.  Maybe I'm looking for the display setting in the wrong area, or maybe there's a better way to display large/long videos like this.  Thanks for the help.

Embedded Video in Page Resource  

by Craig R Morton -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of MoodleCloud team

Hi Naci,

If you have used embed code straight from Microsoft then it may come with an HTML attribute to open the video in a new tab. Review the embed code and any anchor tags for the following attribute:

target="_blank"

If you find it then remove it.

Many thanks.

In reply to Craig R Morton

by Naci Seyhanlı -

Don't see anything like that

<h3>Compliance Video</h3><p><br></p><iframe width="320" height="176" src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=50AF2E31D7479835&amp;resid=50AF2E31D7479835%218792&amp;authkey=ABEnW3bV35yENxo" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

A quick online search reveals this may be a problem with using OneDrive as a repository.  I will set up a Google Drive account, and see if it works any differently.  I have longer length videos I'd like to present, but I can't put them up in a YouTube account because the content isn't designed for public consumption.  The file size limitation on Moodle prevents me from storing them there too.  I think 100mb is the max file upload size.

by Naci Seyhanlı -

Google Drive works great out of the box.  The embed code plays video directly in the Moodle page.  A short interwebs search revealed a way to hide the "pop out" icon on the player so the viewer can't navigate to the Google Drive page and download the video.  Thanks for the help.