No way to continue while updating

No way to continue while updating

by Dale Vanderhoof -
Number of replies: 4

I was in the process of updating Moodle from 2- something to 3.2.2. During the install, the following screen appears (See below). There is no "Continue" button, or any other way of continuing. The only choice here--at the very bottom--is to "Reload". When I do, the same screen appears. There is no way out! I am stuck here. What do I need to do next?

I read about the Antelope-to-Barricuda update, but I read that it is not necessary. I want to first get the site updated.

Any help would be appreciated. BTW, I am attempting this through Softaculous update, as I am on a shared host.

Thanks

-Dale

Attachment update_screen.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dale Vanderhoof

Re: No way to continue while updating

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

My suggestion would be to upgrade your MySQL, and then return to the moodle install (if Softaculous allows this, which I think it should.)  Shared hosting environments sometimes allow you to upgrade MySQL on your own.

by Bret Miller -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

While it may not technically be necessary from a MySQL standpoint, it is a requirement in Moodle, so without altering the Moodle code, the only way around it is to upgrade your tables to Barracuda format. If you can't, then it's time to restore your backup and don't upgrade to 3.2.x until you can upgrade your tables.

by Usman Asar -
Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Dale, with amber colored checks, you can always continue, like showed in barracuda conversion, since moodle 3.2.2+ and 3.1.5+ now it's a requirement to have barracuda format rather than antelope (which may not still be required in case of updates) - whilst yours red check is on database check and not table format check.

possibilities could be two now:

1: the version of MySQL that your hosting is using is outdated for moodle install, minimum required is 5.5.31 in both cases of mariaDB and MySQL) and yours showing 5.5.510.0.29 mariaDB

2: Ask your hosting provider, if they have switched to mariaDB in past, as its a drop in replacement for MySQL so working things do not break normally, but then it has to be mentioned which database driver to use, which in your case may be on MySQL and that you have to change to mariadb in config.php file as I am assuming your hosting is on MariaDB version 10.0.29 as it was a stable release from mariaDB back in january.

just try changing dbdriver in config.php file from mysql to mariadb and see if it continues.

Lastly, never use Softaculous for production installs, script installers strip some of the code to facilitate their installers, you'll get in trouble in future when installing plug-ins.

In reply to Usman Asar

by Dale Vanderhoof -

First of all, thank you everyone for the help.

Usman, I figured that I would start with the "simple" and work my way up, so I took your advice and changed the dbdriver in config.php file from mysql to mariadb and it seemed to work! I then had the "Continue" button and it completed! Everything, so far, appears to to be working as it should! Thanks!

What a simple fix!

Thanks again!