Moodle on AWS load balancing Architecture

Re: Moodle on AWS load balancing Architecture

by Tawfik Daim -
Number of replies: 0

Hi Christos

I went on a mission to create a stack similar to what you described, so now I have

1. 2 EC2 instances running Apache
  2. A classic Load Balancer to register the EC2 instances
  3. MySql RDS database
  4. Elastic File System (EFS) that is mounted to both the 2 EC2 instances and on it I mounted the Moodle Core code and moodledata

Succes....its working, but then I noticed the very slow performance compared to all in one AWS micro server that I have running Apche+MySql+Moodle Data, so to fix this I started with MemChacheD installation on both the 2 EC2 webservers and it significantly speed thing up (notice I'm testing with a single user just to test basic functionality).

Where I need help:

1. What I want to clarify is for your solution number 2 (Use an EC2 instance as a memcached server.), did you mean to have a new intance side by side to the Load Balanced instance of Apached? and how to configure this one ?

2. Also can I use this instance of memcached to host the moodledata on an internal SSD drive that I mount to both EC2 web servers (and later to the more EC2 webservers I plan to add to the Load-balancers based on load) - will this replace the step 4 EFS, coudl it be a faster option than EFS

3. can you please clarify how to configure "Use an EC2 instance as an NFS server for caches", is it what I try to ask about in above point?

4. Can you please clarify how to "Assign localcachedir to the same local directory in each EC2 machine"

Lastly, do you have any further recommendation from what you have done so far