theme customizations

theme customizations

by abhishek bhattacharjee -
Number of replies: 5

hi all

how to modify the theme in moodle the way we want it to be i.e totally customized design without loosing the responsiveness.its the clean theme or the theme used for the moodle 3.2 which is used.

thanks in advance

Average of ratings: -
In reply to abhishek bhattacharjee

Re: theme customizations

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

@moderator - please could this be moved to the Themes forum

@abhishek

Firstly, you need to decide whether you are using the Clean theme or the 'theme used for Moodle 3.2' which is actually Boost - they work in very different ways and are supported by different versions of Bootstrap, Clean uses Boostrap2 and LESS while Boost uses Bootstrap4 , SASS and mustache templates.

Both are entirely responsive, so your child would be also, unless some of your customisations break that - that is dependent on those customisations.

Perhaps if you start with chosing one or other starting point and then come back with any other specific queries as you find them, we may be able to provide more assistance than a query which reads as 'how do I totally redesign the look of my Moodle site' without any hint as to what you are actually trying to achieve - the best starting point for that particular question is to spend some time looking through the docs provided at the top of the Themes forum (rather than recreating existing guides in the forum threads).

Hope that can get you started and once started, you will be able to come back to the forum with some specific questions for us to provide assistance. 

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

thanks a lot for the reply Richard i want to start but in wordpress you create and a child theme and customize the theme the way you want but i don't know i there any way to create a child theme in moodle if possible how it can be done any documentation or any article any video anything will be of great help.

thank you 

by Ambrish Tiwari -

Hi Abhishek,

The new Theme in Moodle 3.2.2 is Boost. There are very limited option available to in Moodle to customize the theme. But if the a good understanding of Bootstrap and SASS you can change the existing code of the theme you are using. I did the same but it was 2.9. You have study the theme and you can get all the files under moodle\theme\boost. 

Also if you have the specific requirement please let me know and my be I would able to provide you more precise details.

Ambrish Tiwari

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/view.php?id=46 - As above, please see the docs linked from the top of the Themes forum. That includes advice about creating a clone or child theme to make your own customisations on - Please don't edit the files of any of the core themes directly (Clean, More, BootstrapBase, Boost) as any changes you make there will get overridden any time you update Moodle.

IF you choose to use Boost based themes (you still haven't said whether you want to use Clean or Boost as a parent theme) then you would also need to look at the https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Creating_a_theme_based_on_boost docs.

So there's info around. But you need to decide which parent theme you are going to use and focus on that.

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

thanks all for the reply  i have somehow managed to create a clone theme but now i want some help in adding the js as well as the css for 

boost theme 

moodle version 3.2

i want to use the chart.js which is already inbuilt in moodle 3.2 i want help how to use it in any page if i want to have a pie chart or any graphs if i want.

i tried to implement i got the following exception

Exception - Argument 1 passed to core\chart_base::add_series() must be an instance of core\chart_series, null given, called in [dirroot]/login/home.php on line 111