Quizzes not showing as completed activities AND Grades not recorded

Quizzes not showing as completed activities AND Grades not recorded

'mei a Joanne Dodd - 'aho
Number of replies: 15

Hi All, 

For some reason Moodle has decided not to check the tick boxes in the activity completion report for quizzes nor record grades in the grade book.  This is happening for all quizzes and multiple users.  Thankfully my course is not "live" yet so it's not yet a critical issue but I would like to get it sorted out before launch.  

I am pretty sure it's Moodle 3.2.  It was working before but I saw a similar post about someone losing their data when 'debugging' had been turned on.  It is possible that our IT guy who set up the platform has switched debugging on to try and fix the Competency Breakdown Report malfunction.  

Please help.  Anything overly technical I'll send to my IT guy.  

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joanne Dodd

Re: Quizzes not showing as completed activities AND Grades not recorded

'mei a Emma Richardson - 'aho
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Is cron running?  This won't happen if cron is not running...

In reply to Emma Richardson

'mei a Tim Hunt - 'aho
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I am not sure that cron is needed for activity completion. (It is needed for course completion.)

In reply to Joanne Dodd

Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Are your users only students in the course?  Do not have dual roles for example like teacher and student?

If a user has the preview quiz permission, then grades will not be recorded...

'mei a Joanne Dodd - 'aho

Thanks Emma, this appears to be functioning now.  

'mei a Harshavardhan Kale - 'aho
Hi Emma,

The same happened with one of my quiz. The grades were not recorded. I have two teachers in the course. One is editing teacher, while another is non-editing teacher. Can you suggest an option please? I need both the teacher and non-editing teacher to be the user, as without being a user they can't use the course? What all permissions needs to be changed? Preview permissions with both the teacher and the non-editing teacher needs to be changed? The editing teacher had set up the quiz.

I look forward to your kind reply. 

Thanks in advance!

Harshavardhan

In reply to Harshavardhan Kale

As teachers they can access and edit the course but their grades will not be recorded.  If you want them to be students, remove the teacher role and give them the student role.

Hi Emma,

Thank you for the reply. 

The query was pertaining to the students. The students registered for the course had taken in total 4 quiz. 1st and 2nd quiz were fine and we could get results and grades. But for 3rd and 4th quiz, nothing is recorded. Even the attempts by students are not recorded. I was wondering if this happened due to some technical fault? Could you please suggest what all should be looking at, to correct this error? The final exams of the students is due on 8th of Jan 2018. I need to correct the same before that. Please advice. 

Thanks in advance. 

Regards,

Harsh

Are you sure the students took the exams?  I have never heard of nothing being recorded unless for some reason the students have been given the preview quiz permission...have you checked student permissions and quiz permissions?

If you want to PM me, I wouldn't mind taking a look briefly...it has to be something simple..

Hi Emma,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, Unfortunately students have been given preview quiz permission! Also, the user were not assigned "student' role..will this also have an impact? 

Please suggest further course of action...

Regards,

Harsh

Yes, of course...

Remove the quiz preview permission and give them the student role.

Hi Emma,

There is something I wish to bring to your kind notice. When I check the student's permission through "quiz setting" it shows that "preview quiz" permission is yes. However, if I check the user permission through "site administration" setting, it shows "No". How to change the quiz setting to NO, as if I click on it, I am taken to MOODLE site: https://docs.moodle.org/34/en/Capabilities/mod/quiz:preview

Can  you please tell me, how can I change permission in the quiz to NO.

Thanks in advance.

Harsh

Go to the Quiz - go to permissions (not check permissions), remove student from preview quiz role.

Hi Emma,

I did figure out how to change permission for the student in quiz preview. 

Many thanks for the help.

Regards,

Harsh

'mei a Blair Goodlin - 'aho

We were having a similar problem, that students' quiz attempts in a course were not being recorded.  As it turns out, they had the permission to preview quizzes.  Is there some unusual way that this permission can be given to students, other than actually going in the permissions screen?  I suppose the instructor could have gone in and done that by accident, but we're trying to figure out if there's any other possible explanation.

Thanks!

In reply to Blair Goodlin

'mei a ben reynolds - 'aho

Looking up from your post, I'm suspecting the scenario where the students have been given a teacher role. It's easier to make that mistake than for a "normal" teacher to go browsing around in the permissions area.