General developer forum

Idea for start up - would love your help!

Picture of Kim Johnson
Idea for start up - would love your help!

Hi there,

My name’s Kim and I’m excited to be working on a new startup that seeks to help thousands and thousands of students stay in online learning programs and fulfill their dreams. The start up will be powered by emphatic and experienced ‘‘retention coaches’ who call and make genuine connections with students who are at risk of dropping out to work with them to troubleshoot their learning programs. We seek to bring the human touch to supporting at risk students.

We’re working towards building a portal for our coaches to use - and we’re curious to know what info we could potentially pull in from Moodle's API (assuming we have college X on board as a client).

In our prototype portal, we were wondering if we could pull this info from Moodle:

• If a student hasn’t logged in for X amount of time (say, a week)

• If a student is behind on their assignments

• If a student’s grades are suffering

• If a student is the first in their family to attend college (first generation)

• If a student is low-income

• Has this student completed an online class before?

• Reports/alerts of poor performance from students’ professors

For the past two years, I’ve been a high school counselor in West Virginia. I’m passionate about bringing big hearts and just enough tech to help students reach their goals.

I’d love your thoughts and feedback on what may be possible for our beta app!

--Kim

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Justin Hunt
Re: Idea for start up - would love your help!
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Plugin developers

Hi Kim,

Having been involved in a few Moodle startups myself, and since you asked for thoughts ... let me just tell you how I think you should play this out. (Sorry if its a bit strident.)

I think you should see how far you can get without doing any coding whatsoever for your beta. The reason I say this, is that many of the Moodle startups that I have seen get lost in the development. But Moodle is very full featured all by itself, with lots of plugins and plugin'able external services. 

I think if you take the time to learn what you can do simply with what is available, that you can produce your beta faster, get in front of customers sooner, and validate your business model before you blow your budget. (Later you can put that money into dev. once you really really know what you need to make.)

So with that in mind, take a look at the data and reports that you can get from :

https://intelliboard.net/

Also see here for information about event monitoring. 

https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Event_monitoring

Using event monitoring you can send notifications (by email) that are triggered based on a combination of standard events and your custom rules.

You are going to need something to store the student's income level/family details etc. And you probably want all the info in one place, so you might want to use a CRM like tool to house and display all that.  See here for how to combine event monitoring with an online service called Zapier to get data into a 3rd party system ( like Salesforce, Airtable). 

http://lewiscarr.co.uk/2016/07/moodle-and-zapier-automate-your-moodle-life/

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Kim Johnson

Hey Justin,

I appreciate your straightforward responses and I find your advice to avoid substantial coding for launch to be really encouraging, especially since I want to focus on the human connection - connecting learners to trained empathic staff who can help them troubleshoot their issues using evidence based strategies.  I also think it's cool that Moodle works w Dropout Detective. 

Will keep brewing and marshaling fwd - hope we can stay in touch. Your counsel is very much appreciated.  --Kim

Picture of Jon Bolton
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Justin's right about using existing functionality before looking to develop new stuff.

Off the top of my head though, Moodle knows, or could easily know, most of what you've listed. So the issue you will have is getting the info out into one place.

• If a student hasn’t logged in for X amount of time (say, a week) - enrolment plugins and report already know this.
  • If a student is behind on their assignments - gradebook already knows this.
  • If a student’s grades are suffering - gradebook has lots of information. The threshold/criteria for 'suffering' will be the basis for pulling of your report.
  • If a student is the first in their family to attend college (first generation) - add a custom profile field.
  • If a student is low-income - add a custom profile field.
  • Has this student completed an online class before? - you'll know if they completed one of your Moodle course before. If it's wider than that, add a custom profile field.
  • Reports/alerts of poor performance from students’ professors - you can already store notes about individuals.

Picture of Kim Johnson

Jon, Thanks so much for your notes. It's really cool to think we can get all this data one way or another. Hope to stay in touch. --Kim

Picture of Tonya Riney

Hi Kim,

So glad Justin responded - he's the awesome developer of PoodLL, which we used when I was a designer smile

If you'd like to chat about reporting, let me know. You can view the IntelliBoard plugin here: https://moodle.org/plugins/local_intelliboard. It's an amazing tool to provide comprehensive reporting and analytics for your clients.

Best!

Tonya