Category/Course Visibilty

Category/Course Visibilty

by Kevin Williams -
Number of replies: 1

Apologize if this is the wrong forum or a solution has already been posted. I am relatively new to Moodle and I have searched and don't seem to see an answer anywhere. We are using using Moodle 3.0 and the Essential theme. We use the site for customer training. All trainings are eLearning modules

I will try to be succinct but want to provide all relative information.

We “push” students into Moodle from a proprietary application, creating a Moodle user record automatically and logging them in and onto the Moodle landing page.

Our customers subscribe to specific products and we only want them to see or enroll in courses related to products they subscribe to. I use course categories aligned with products to store courses relative to that product

Since I know what products they own when they log into the proprietary application I can push that data along with their user info into Moodle and using scripting and the cohort auto sync plugin I have the student’s auto enrolled in only the courses I want them to be enrolled in.

What I want to do now and have had challenges in building is a method to display the categories and or courses the user sees.  I can get the courses to display in the My courses block but it can be a long list I don’t want them scrolling through possibly dozens of courses. Making the Dashboard page the home page doesn’t really work either. What I would like to do is show the student a list or icon set of only those categories that have courses they have enrollments in, they can then drill down into the category and start the course. 

I realize there may have been other ways to accomplish what we have so far but there were strict business needs that drove the design.

I would appreciate any suggestions or pointers if anyone has tried something like this or alternative methods. 

Thanks

Average of ratings: -