Backup failure - Internal Server Error

Backup failure - Internal Server Error

by James Steerpike -
Number of replies: 1

I am running Moodle 2.8 on a shared hosting service. with a claimed 1 Gb of memory. There is only one course, and most pages are a quiz linked to a course question bank. It is a new site so about a dozen pages. some a single page with links  inserted to graphics outside Moodle and others are quizzes linked to a 100 item quiz bank with half a dozen folders. So a tiny site to back up.

I have about 370 users and between them they have answered about 5 000 quiz pages each of about 10 questions in the six weeks I have been running the site. I have had about 50 on at one time and the site has not appreciably slowed nor has the hosting company complained.  So i am happy with my first Moodle site.

But course backups fail with an internal server error. I can run course backups with the "enrolled users" ticked and the backup completes and  when the "question bank" is ticked it is fine  but if both are selected it fails. 

I am not sure if this is a resources problem to be dealt with by my  hosting service or something mis-configured. As a live site relying on database backups, i am wary of changing much. Any suggestions?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to James Steerpike

Re: Backup failure - Internal Server Error

by Eric Hagley -

You might try site admin>server>performance and increasing "Extra PHP memory limit".