Calculated question type using linked datasets?

Calculated question type using linked datasets?

by Michael Roberts -
Number of replies: 2
Hi all,
I'm trying to create a set of calculated questions using some linked values for Chemistry.

Example question: What is the electronegativity difference between carbon and hydrogen?
Answer: 0.4 (2.6 - 2.2)

I'd like to have the elements chosen from a list, and their corresponding electronegativities picked for the calculation part. Is this possilbe?
From reading the notes, it looks like I can create lists of values, but they are not linked.

(PS, I've just started on Moodle last month so still learning here!)

Thanks
Michael

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Roberts

Re: Calculated question type using linked datasets?

by Ged Allen -

Hello,

I have created a couple of questions using moodle that use variables. I set the question type to calculated (simple) and put the variables (wildcards) in curly brackets. You can then randomly generate a number of sets of data for the wildcard values. This effectively creates 10 (or more) similar questions with  a different answer so that the students can't just memorise the correct number. I've attached some screenshots. Just let me know if this helps or you need more clarification.

Thanks Ged

In reply to Ged Allen

Re: Calculated question type using linked datasets?

by Michael Roberts -

Thanks for the reply Ged,

I suspect that your method is the one I'll have to use in the future.

I was hoping for the ability to randomly choose elements, and let the students lookup the values in the databook... then they calculate. It would need an array (element and value) of some sort. I'll keep looking around though as well.

I'll update if I ever find something :D