Problem Uploading video files Moodle 3.2

Problem Uploading video files Moodle 3.2

by Steen Pedersen -
Number of replies: 7

Hi

I am using Moodle 3.2 with BOOST Theme. When I try to upload a video file, for example (mp4), to a course I get the following error:

"The media could not be uploaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported".

I have checked that the "Multimedia Plugins" is enabled (on) and that the videoplayer "VideoJS Player" is enabled.

I use Nginx as webserver and I have checked that etc/Nginx/mime.types is included in Nginx.conf.

Maximum upload is configured to 2 GB in Moodle and Nginx.

The files I have used to test video upload are each below 10 MB in size.

I have read several forums suggesting that You should check the multimedia embedding options in theme settings. I dont have the following menu on Moodle 3.2 "Site Administration -> Appearance -> Media embedding" and I can´t find this setting under the BOOST theme either.

Am I missing something in the configuration?

Best Regards

Steen Pedersen

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steen Pedersen

Re: Problem Uploading video files Moodle 3.2

by Eric Hagley -

Am not sure but you might like to check site admin> plugins> filters > manage filters (making sure they are active) then click settings for multimedia plugins and "manage media players". In the settings for the VideoJS player is the file type in the list? If not, add it and see if things work then.

In reply to Eric Hagley

Ang: Re: Problem Uploading video files Moodle 3.2

by Steen Pedersen -

Hi Eric

Thank You for your answer. I have checked that multimedia filters are active and I have checked the settings for the VideoJS player and mp4 files is listed under file types. Last week  I did some further investigation because we have some older Moodle servers (version 2.x) and on these servers I can upload and play the sample mp4 files without problems. The old servers use the same Nginx configuration as the new ones so now I do not think that the webserver is the problem. The old servers use the CLEAN Theme and some older players of course.

Best Regards

Steen Pedersen

Re: Problem Uploading video files Moodle 3.2

by Eric Hagley -

Sorry to ask, but just wanting to check - in the course settings, what is the max upload size setting? Site settings are one thing but each course also has an upload limit setting.

Is the multimedia plugin at the top of the list of plugins? Are there no other filters above it?

Sorry, if this doesn't help I'm going to be out of my depth and won't be able to help any more.

Good luck with it.

In reply to Eric Hagley

Ang: Re: Problem Uploading video files Moodle 3.2

by Steen Pedersen -

Hi Eric

I have checked course settings and the max upload setting is set to the site limit setting (2 GB). I have also checked the multimedia plugin and it is at the top of the list. I am also puzzled by this problem, so thank you very much for your input. I will have to investigate further.

Best Regards

Steen Pedersen

Re: Ang: Re: Problem Uploading video files Moodle 3.2

by Marc Stewart -

This happens to me too! I'm using Moodle 3.2.2 (Build: 20170313) and the Adaptable theme. I can embed sound files but not videos. I've got a workaround as I upload them to my Youtube channel then embed them, which seems to work well, but it's a pain not being able to upload them directly.

I have spoken to my hosting company and they said it's not a permissions problem.

Hope you get it sorted!

Marc

In reply to Marc Stewart

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: Problem Uploading video files Moodle 3.2

by Steen Pedersen -

Hi Marc

Thanks for your reply. It is good to know that I can use a workaround. I will do some further tests. I will try to upload some files while using the debugging tools in Chrome or Firefox. Maybe I can get some additional information during the debugging.

Best Regards

Steen Pedersen

Ang: Problem Uploading video files Moodle 3.2

by Steen Pedersen -

Hi

I have spent some time investigating the issue. If I choose to embed the videos it works as expected. I have used the method described here:

https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Video

It is the section called "Using the Moodle media icon" I have used.

So I can embed most file extensions. The VideoJS player does not support mp4v videos (for example videos generated in Pinnaccle Studio). If I convert them to mp4 it works as expected, but we have a lot of mp4v files so it would be great if I could make Moodle support that file extension.  I have read the documentation for the following plugins and filters:

Poodll filter

JWPlayer

Videofile

Video Easy

But I cant find any information regarding mp4v file extension.

Does anyone know a player, plugin or filter I can install that supports mp4v files?

Best Regards

Steen Pedersen