Exporting & importing courses from one Moodle to another

Exporting & importing courses from one Moodle to another

by David Dom -
Number of replies: 5

Hello,

I am currently still using a very old version of Moodle, version 1.9.19.

Instead of updating the already installed software to the newest version, I would like to install a clean, new version of Moodle instead.

However, I wonder if it's possible that I somehow export the courses (e.g. list of lessons in each of them and such) from my old version and import them in the new install?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Dom

Re: Exporting & importing courses from one Moodle to another

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In theory... you can use backup (in 1.9) and restore in the new version. However, you can only import the basic structure and contents - not any user content. It also creates the course in a kind of compatibility mode which isn't the best idea. 

To be honest, you might want to consider recreating your courses from scratch. What you will end up will be better and more reliable.

In reply to Howard Miller

by David Dom -

Hello Howard,

Thanks for your reply. The idea is indeed to just export & import the course information itself, not user data. So I was thinking: what if I upgrade my old Moodle install to the latest version, and then export & import from there? Would that make it more reliable, or is it still more hassle than just recreating the courses from scratch?

There are a few reasons why I want to start with a clean install of Moodle:

There were quite a few users in Moodle (because it was connected with a bridge to Joomla). When, back in 2013 and before, I tried to delete some users from Moodle (e.g. because they also removed their account on Joomla), they weren't really deleted from the server. Moodle supposedly did delete them, but the user maps remained on the server and so it didn't make free any server space.

Also, with every new version, it seemed as if Moodle was getting more bloated with functionalities that we didn't need and were just taking up space and making the platform seem more complex than needed.

For those reasons, we moved away from Moodle in 2013 and on to eFront instead. eFront is in itself good software that has alot of functionality, but it isn't exactly very user-friendly, especially not for teachers. The bridge software for Joomla-eFront (called jFusion) is no longer maintained and will stop working sooner or later, while Moodle does have a maintained bridge (Joomdle). Having taken a look at the demo of the most current version of Moodle, I see that everything seems to be more back to basics again, with the ability to install plugins for only those functions you actually need, which I think is a great improvement and convinced me to choose Moodle over eFront again as well.

But it is exactly because the old install still has a bunch of inactive members that I can't delete from the server (unless I know for sure what their account number was and delete them manually, but that's not the idea), that I consider a clean install and don't need user data to be transferred over.

In reply to David Dom

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It's up to you really. Getting from 1.9 to 3.2 upgrading can be an interesting challenge.

As I say, my view, if you can stomach it is to create a new 3.2 site and recreate your courses. Then everything will be wonderful (or relatively wonderful). Other options have a distinct possibility of unpredictable/random misery I'm afraid. 

In reply to Howard Miller

by David Dom -

From the sound of it, it seems I'm better off then just building up the courses again from scratch...

Thanks for your input smile 

In reply to David Dom

by Alejandro Lengua -

Interested subject.

I was wondering if it would be possible to export Moodle contents (including SCORM content) and tests previously created in a Moodle testing environment.