Can't upgrade from 2.6 on shared server

Can't upgrade from 2.6 on shared server

by van wilson -
Number of replies: 1

Im on a shared hostgator server.  I do not have shell access.  I tried to do the manual upgrade of the files following all the instructions along with Hostgator support.  That gave a cannot read database error.   We tried several times to configure the config.php to config-dist.php format.  The instructions for upgrade are WAY too vague.  

Instructions also say Oh, just go to system administration / notifications  and cause the system will automatically detect the upgrade needed and take care of it all for you and hardly ever has an error.  Well those instructions are in error or vague.  What does 'cause' mean?  There is no button or interface to cause an automatic detection.  It just gives me many versions that are available and lets me download.  So now I'm still back to square one.  

We are a small non profit which is why we chose a free LMS.  If we have to upgrade the server to a full server just to get shell access or use an amazon server it's too expensive so they will quit the project or find a different LMS.  I picked moodle because of the quick install feature on hostgator and it's support for joomla through bridge modules (one for each program over web access).   I'm a programmer for many years but I can't get this to work, at least not without better documentation...

I hope you can help me get the auto upgrade function to work.  

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to van wilson

Re: Can't upgrade from 2.6 on shared server

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Qualifications for this response ... do not work for Moodle HQ ... just a long time user of Moodle (truth in and honest  'sharing'):

Sounds like the situation you are in will require a step in-between if going from 2.6 to latest/greatest 3.2.  You've not shared that info ... the desired ending verison of Moodle.

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_2.6_release_notes#Database_requirements

Minimum DB versions: MySQL 5.1.33
Minimum PHP version: PHP 5.3.3

To get to Moodle 3.2:

https://docs.moodle.org/dev/Moodle_3.2_release_notes#Server_requirements

Moodle upgrade: Moodle 2.7 or later (if upgrading from earlier versions, you must upgrade to 2.7.14 as a first step)

PHP version: minimum PHP 5.6.5
MySQL     5.5.31

So to get to 3.2 one must upgrade the 2.6 to 2.7 first before attempting to
upgrade to 3.2.   Cannot 'hyperjump'.

The installer script is Hostgators.  While they might have provided an 'easy' installer script, you've discovered they don't have an 'easy' update/upgrade script.
Don't think one can blame Moodle docs for that.

Moodle not responsible for nor does Moodle program anything for updating/upgrading via installer scripts written by third party script which hosting providers choose to use ... except from a combination of git and the command line only scripts found in moodlecode/admin/cli/

IF you are wanting to use all the features of Moodle 3.2 ... Global Search and Annotation in grading, those require additional software: apache solr, JRE, libreaoffice, unoconv to support the new features.

Don't think any hosting provider will install the additional software required
to run full featured Moodle on 3.2 on shared servers.   Leaves you with no choice but to upgrade the plan with Hostgator to a VPS should you decide to stay with them.

'spirit of sharing', Ken