Parent directory (/home/admin/web/xxx) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

Parent directory (/home/admin/web/xxx) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

by worawat wasanapreecha -
Number of replies: 11

Hi 

I am updating moodle form version 3.0 to version 3.2 but have problem below. How to solve it ?

error message::

Warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/admin/web/xxx/public_html:/home/admin/tmp:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/var/www/html:/tmp:/usr/share:/etc/phpMyAdmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin:/etc/roundcubemail:/etc/roundcube:/var/lib/roundcube) in /home/admin/web/xxx/public_html/moodle/install.php on line 333

Warning: is_writable(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/home/admin/web/xxx) is not within the allowed path(s): (/home/admin/web/xxx/public_html:/home/admin/tmp:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/var/www/html:/tmp:/usr/share:/etc/phpMyAdmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin:/etc/roundcubemail:/etc/roundcube:/var/lib/roundcube) in /home/admin/web/xxx/public_html/moodle/install.php on line 337

detail paths

Moodle directory :: /home/admin/web/xxx/public_htm/lmoodledata
Data directory :: /home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata

i am try setting open_basedir, create moodledata with myself and set permission chmod 777 but it's show same error.

open_basedir
/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata

Thank You.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to worawat wasanapreecha

Re: Parent directory (/home/admin/web/xxx) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Ideally, turn off open_basedir. 

If you can't do that then you need to know where you are allowed to put your 'moodledata' directly. You may need to speak to your server administrator/support about that.

Moodle doesn't really play nicely with open_basedir restrictions 

In reply to Howard Miller

ตอบ: Re: Parent directory (/home/admin/web/xxx) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

Hi Howard Miller,

Now i turn off open_basedir it show same error. It's not working.

Re: ตอบ: Re: Parent directory (/home/admin/web/xxx) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

If you turned off open_basedir and you still get the open_basedir error then, sorry, you didn't turn it off. 

If you made changes in php.ini, did you restart the web server afterwards. You need to if you didn't. 

ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: Parent directory (/home/admin/web/xxx) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

Hi

Howard Miller,

Sure after config php.ini i am restart service every time.

Re: ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: Parent directory (/home/admin/web/xxx) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

by Howard Miller -

Is it the *same* messages (the open_basedir) problem?

If so, you didn't turn it off. Is it possible that you are editing the wrong php.ini file (or there is a something else that is enabling open_basedir)?

*Something* is causing it to be enabled. 

ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: Parent directory (/home/admin/web/xxx) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

I am editing this file (follow path)

It's right format? (xxx is my domain)

and this message show at phpinfo.php

open_basedir/home/admin/web/xxx/public_html:/home/admin/tmp:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/var/www/html:/tmp:/usr/share:/etc/phpMyAdmin:/etc/phpmyadmin:/var/lib/phpmyadmin:/etc/roundcubemail:/etc/roundcube:/var/lib/roundcube /home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata

Re: ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: Parent directory (/home/admin/web/xxx) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I am guessing by your folder structure that you have a hosted site.  These sites often have a requirement for .htaccess file in the moodle directory - you might check that is not overriding your php.ini file.

Also, some hosts do not allow web accessible files/folders outside of the public_html folder and that might be causing your issue too.

In reply to Emma Richardson

ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: ตอบ: Re: Parent directory (/home/admin/web/xxx) is not writeable. Data directory (/home/admin/web/xxx/moodledata) cannot be created by the installer.

Hi, Emma Richardson

Thank for answer i will checking config my server again.

Good suggestion!

i can install moodle configured in apache2.conf it's working. But now have new problem below picture why moodle appearance? I tried remove trash folder it's same appearance.

Update

But have new probles.

- Some picture and all files lose how to recovery ?

- When click one of subject it's download php of moodle files (Such as index.php,View.php).

- Link site Admin not working when click it show icon downloading.

Upload moodledata binary format can solve all problems.