Testing and QA

Help needed with Moodle 3.3 QA testing

Picture of Helen Foster
Help needed with Moodle 3.3 QA testing
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

Moodle 3.3 is due for release in four weeks from now, so we're running another Quality Assurance (QA) testing cycle, starting today: Moodle 3.3 QA. The list of over 550 tests includes tests covering new features and improvements in Moodle 3.3.

If you'd like to have a play with Moodle 3.3 on our QA testing site and at the same time help with QA testing, please read the QA testing guide and send me a message if you'd like to be added to the testers group in the Moodle Tracker. New testers are always welcome. smile

We're aiming for a 100% pass rate of QA tests within the next three weeks, so all help is much appreciated!

Average of ratings: Useful (5)
Picture of AL Rachels
Re: Help needed with Moodle 3.3 QA testing
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi Helen,

Just made a quick re-read of the QA testing guide and have a question. Do we need to test with both Boost and Clean again, like last time? Or is it okay to use just one.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Helen Foster
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

That's a good question AL! Please do test with Boost and Clean again. The QA testing site has a handy theme switcher again to help.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Jasmin Klindzic
TestersTranslators

Hi, Helen.

There is no dashboard for Moodle 3.3 QA on Moodle Tracker? It only shows an old one, for v. 3.2. (And this link works: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDLQA-10403 - but still it is not the same). sad

Picture of Helen Foster

Thanks Jasmin for mentioning about the QA testing dashboard. It's now updated and shows that 13 tests have been passed already! Great work, thanks! smile

Picture of Luiggi Sansonetti
Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi all

Count me in !

Cheers

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Help needed with Moodle 3.3 QA testing + failed tests

Many thanks Luiggi and everyone else for getting going with testing Moodle 3.3. We already have 23 tests passed and 6 failures for developers to investigate. smile

If anyone runs a QA test and finds things not working correctly, please see https://docs.moodle.org/dev/QA_testing#Failed_tests for details of what to do. Making sure that the problem is reported and linked to the QA test ensures that bugs are fixed as quickly as possible.

This is me.  Deal with it!

Hi Helen, 

I'd be happy to take part in the QA again.

Thanks

Kieran

Picture of Heather Edick

I would be happy to help with testing. 

Picture of Nicolas Martignoni
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

Hi,

I'm in too smile

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Moodle 3.3 QA testing - 20% passed in 3 days

Thanks Kieran, Nicolas and all our other experienced testers for helping with another QA cycle. Thanks also to Heather for volunteering. I've added you to the testers group in the tracker too, so you can now pass or fail QA tests.

From the QA testing dashboard I can see we have 20% of tests passed in just 3 days - an excellent start to our Moodle 3.3 testing! smile

Picture of AL Rachels
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTesters

Hi Helen,

Could you please check and see if it's just me or is unoconv broken on the qa.moodle.net site?

I have been working on MDLQA-10913 and needed to compare results (step 9 not working right) and wanted to compare results at qa.moodle.net. However all I see when going to grade a students submission, is a blank pdf. The only submission from a student that looks correct is one that is a pdf to begin with.

I have not done an exhaustive check, but I only see a blank pdf for .doc, .docs, .txt, and .odt files. PDF are the only ones I can see text on/in to grade.

Picture of Helen Foster

Hi AL,

Unfortunately unoconv is indeed not working on the QA testing site (MDLSITE-4616). sad I'll ask again for it to be fixed.

Thanks for reporting the problem you found.

Picture of Oliver James

Hi Helen,

I was wondering if it would be possible for the QA tests to cover making unoconv work on a Windows IIS environment? I am at a loss as to how to make it work at my end and at least if was made to work at your end then there would be hope for me to crack the solution.

Many thanks

Oliver.

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: document converter testing

Hi Oliver,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with unoconv on Windows. The QA tests only cover Moodle functionality, and any test involving document conversion has as a requirement that unoconv is set up and working.

However, you'll be pleased to hear that it will be possible to use alternative document converters in Moodle 3.3, such as Google Drive. Once MDL-58280 is integrated, we'll write a QA test to cover this new functionality.

Picture of Chad Outten
Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersTesters

G'day Helen! Count me in.

Picture of nayan v

Hi Helan,

Count me in too,

C'est moi :-)
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

Not too much time, but i'm in to help doing some tests smile

Picture of Helen Foster

Thanks Chad, Nayan and Séverin for helping out again and thanks everyone who has messaged me offering to help. The more testers we have, the quicker we get through the testing cycle.

From the QA testing dashboard we're now up to 40% of tests passed. Great work everyone! smile

C'est moi :-)
Documentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

When doing my tests, i've seen (small) differences in sentences showed by Moodle, not exactly what is in testing instructions.

It would be a good idea to update this for next QA cycle.

You can find more information in MDLQA-10661, MDLQA-10663, MDLQA-10798.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Helen Foster

Thanks Séverin for your attention to detail - an excellent quality in a QA tester. smile I have updated each of the test master copies ready for the next QA cycle.

Picture of philippe petitqueux
Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hi Helen,

Count me in.

Philippe

Yoruba Mask
Testers

Hi Helen, 

If it's not too late,  I am volunteering for Moodle 3.3 QA testing. 

Thanks

Lisa

Picture of Helen Foster

Thanks Philippe and Lisa for volunteering to help with testing. It's definitely not too late, as we currently have 248 tests left to run. We're also adding more tests covering new features in 3.3.

Picture of Maud Schlich

Hi,

as there are still a lot of test cases not yet done - count me in smile

Regards,

Maud

Picture of Helen Foster

Thanks Maud, I've added you to the testers group in the tracker, so you can now pass or fail QA tests too.

From the QA testing dashboard we're now up to 60% of tests passed, with lots of bugs identified and reported for developers to fix.

Picture of primie cegnar

count me in!

Picture of Sally H

I'm happy to help

Picture of Helen Foster

Thanks Sally, though you'll have to be quick because there are only a handful of issues left to run!

Many thanks to everyone who has helped with QA testing. It has been very useful in detecting lots of bugs in Moodle 3.3 which can now be fixed prior to release.

Picture of Bente Olsen
Ang: Help needed with Moodle 3.3 QA testing

A little late to offer my contributions, I just realised that I was not a member of Moodle in English any longer, so though I was subscribed to this forum I was not informed that the QA was started. For how long can you join Moodle in English - or other languages - without posting anything before you get unenrolled?

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Ang: Help needed with Moodle 3.3 QA testing

Hi Bente,

If you are inactive for 60 days you are automatically unenrolled from the course. No worries about the 3.3 QA cycle; there will be another QA cycle in 6 months time for 3.4 which you are welcome to help with.