Configuring Server for 9000 users

Configuring Server for 9000 users

by Luca Viggiani -
Number of replies: 3

Hi, I need to install Moodle on a virtual server (OpenStack) for serving up to 9000 concurrent users.

Users will mainly run SCORM courses through Moodle.

I would like to have any suggestion about how to dimension the server (cpu, ram, disk, bandwidth etc) for an adequate service.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luca Viggiani

Re: Configuring Server for 9000 users

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

First question.... please explain how you arrived at your '9000 concurrent users' figure and what you understand by 'concurrent users'?

This is a huge number and the hardware to actually achieve this (if true) will be massively expensive. 

I think it's very unlikely that it's correct, so let's get this right before we go any further. 

In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Configuring Server for 9000 users

by Luca Viggiani -

Hi, thanks for your answer.

They will be 9000 users registered in Moodle per moths and enrolled into some courses.

They will have one month to complete their courses and can have access whenever they like.

Considering that courses are only a few hours and that they will not be accessing all simultaneously the system, we can suppose that the average load will be around 200-300 concurrent users (viewing courses at the same time).

Thanks. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)