Automatic Competency ID Number by default

Automatic Competency ID Number by default

од Francois Parlant -
Број на одговори: 5

Hi to you all,

Thank you very much for the competency tools. It is great especially in version 3.2 with an easy import / export.

If I may, I just make a wish: is there a way not to have the "ID number" to fill, each time I create a competency?

Could there be a default "automatic numbering" and a "fill this box if you want a specific ID" instead?

Thanks again for your work (and special Thanks to Mary Cooch for the kind pedagogy provided on this forum)

Regards

François

Просек на рејтинзи: -
Во одговорот до Francois Parlant

Re: Automatic Competency ID Number by default

од Mary Cooch -
Слика од Documentation writers Слика од Moodle HQ Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Testers Слика од Translators

Hello François and thanks for the compliment. I don't know of an automatic way to have them filled in, but you could make a tracker new feature request and see if others are interested in this as well.  https://tracker.moodle.org

Во одговорот до Mary Cooch

од Francois Parlant -

Hi, Mary,

good Idea and thanks for the link... Although JIRA doesn't allow me to create a new issue (surely not mature enough yet ;) )

I have posted a comment on a closed ticket... Hope nobody will mind too much about it.

Have a nice day.

Regards

François

од Joost Elshoff -
Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Testers

Hi François,

JIRA is a bit of a strict system. In order to be able to post an issue in the Tracker, you have to vote for a number of related issues, so you can prove you're a human being. This prevents the Tracker from being spammed by bots and other things.

As for the competency ID numbering, I normally work with a spreadsheet program, set the framework ID to 1000 for instance, the main categories within the framework to 1001, 1002, 1003, etc, and then use the spreadsheet to auto +1 the value for every competency in there.

Automating this in the interface may seem like a useful feature, but working with a framework of over 100 competencies, it's a bit of a task keeping track of all the layers and subcompetencies. 

You have to keep track of the parent competencies and their ID numbers in order to be able to correctly relate them. I found working with a spreadsheet > CSV a lot faster than the interface.

Во одговорот до Joost Elshoff

од Francois Parlant -

Hi Joost,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

(No pb about JIRA, It will truly take me some time to do it right anyway ;) )

I perfectly understand the essential use of ID Numbers for competencies.

My "problem" is the obligation to find a new ID manually in the web interface... each time!

As you mentioned it, people who do a framework with accurate numbering tend to do it on Excel anyway. So why not put the default web box to "auto" and let user change it if they want a manual override.

Exactly like it is for categories: auto num.

Hope this suggestion gains some supports ;)

Regards
François

од Joost Elshoff -
Слика од Particularly helpful Moodlers Слика од Testers

Hmm, I think for categories, there are 2 'ID numbers': 1 autonumbered which is also the database ID number corresponding to the category, and 1 optional value that just displays in your category management section. 

If the developers used this to model the competency settings page, it makes sense that the competency ID number is an optional value, only to be used for reference. And for auto numbering, you'd have to allow for instances who want an alphanumerical ID number, instead of just a numerical value, like 'e1234c345b1'

It might be an interesting addition to the interface and workings, and it could be part of improvements to the interface.