"Switch role to..." has disappeared in 3.2?

"Switch role to..." has disappeared in 3.2?

by Peter Diedrichs -
Number of replies: 5
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Have the option to switch roles in the course been removed? In our 3.2.2 test environment we cannot find it anymore, not with our Essential theme, nor with Clean or Boost. (moodle/role:switchroles is set to allow.)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Diedrichs

Re: "Switch role to..." has disappeared in 3.2?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Peter. "Switch role to" is now in your user menu, top right. See Switch roles

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rebecca Trynes -

Hi Mary (or anyone else who can answer my question),

I can't seem to find anything that details WHY the 'switch role to' function was moved.

I much prefer the old method of accessing the drop-down from the Admin menu without having to load a new page in order to select your new role.

Can you tell me if there's a valid reason for un-improving things? (Just my perspective. There may be a valid reason, which is why I'm asking the question!)

Thanks!

In reply to Rebecca Trynes

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Rebecca. I would think the reason the Switch role to ..feature was moved to the user menu was in order to remove it from the administration block, because the new default boostrap-based theme Boost doesn't use the administration block, and so items which were there had to be relocated elsewhere. Blocks don't display in the mobile app  and they use up screenspace so the fewer blocks the better. However, if your theme does still use the administration block then I can see why you feel its removal from there is unfortunate.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Rebecca Trynes -

Thanks, Mary.

It is unfortunate that the new Boost theme gets higher priority than other themes sad