Multiple activities to complete one competency

Multiple activities to complete one competency

by Fabien Toune -
Number of replies: 9

Hello,

I would like to have one competency automatically marked as completed when all activities linked to this competency are completed.

For example, I have an "Introduction to computers" course, for which I created a "Can use Windows Explorer, files and folder" competency.

During the course, I present my students several activities related to this competency (book, quizz, etc.)

I would like the competency "Can use Windows Explorer, files and folder" to be automatically met when all linked activities are completed.

Is it possible, or should I use the "show evidence/manual rating" way ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Fabien Toune

Re: Multiple activities to complete one competency

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

One way that springs to mind is that for one of the activities, you could set the activity completion so that it is only marked complete when (a) whatever that activity completion's requirement is  AND (b) when the other activities are also marked complete. Then you can set that activity as the one that triggers the competency completion.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Mary's solution sounds sensible, but you could also consider breaking the competency down a bit further by creating children of it that are linked to the individual activities, and marking the parent competency complete when all children are completed. This can be done by adding a competency rule to the parent competency from the competency frameworks administration section (Edit competency framework).

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

There's a bit about what Joost says in the Competency framework documentation. It reminds me it would be a nice thing to elaborate on in the docs.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I could draft a text on this for you to review, on the docs, if you want to...

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Mary Cooch -

Sure -feel free to.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Fabien Toune -

Hi !

Thanks for your useful suggestions.

I will try to elaborate on this to reach my goal smile

This takes place in a very formal situation, related to the educational structure in Belgium.

If someone is interested, I can give more explanations about this and how I try to use the competency framework to follow the formal guidelines we're given...

As a starter, I join an "Educational file" which is the base for an "MS Excel" course.

The main points are "Learning outcomes (capacités terminales)", which must all be met for the student to succeed.

Each one of those are quite general/vague (encode and treat data, present results in a graphical form,...) and has to be broken down into several criteria, more precises.

This is arbitrary, the teacher can follow his pedagogical methods, the official program defined for the course, etc. to create his criteria.

Basically some moodle activities would be related to some criteria, and once all or a defined part of them are met, then the "parent outcome" would then be marked as completed. When all the outcomes are met, then the student succeed for the course.

The point is, those criteria cannot be evaluated on a single activity, and multiple activities should be involved in one of them (this was the original meaning of my question).

So both your suggestions are helpful, Mary's one for the last part, and Joost's one for the structure of the course itself.

I will try to implement both and see how it works big grin

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Fabien Toune -

Btw, I can't figure out how to set the activity completion so that it is only marked complete when (a) whatever that activity completion's requirement is  AND (b) when the other activities are also marked complete.

For (a), no problems, but for (b) I don't know how to proceed. I can only see completion's requirements related to the activity concerned, not to others...

In reply to Fabien Toune

by Mary Cooch -

Bonjour Lapin Blanc. (It's not a requirement at all but it would be nice to know your real name- I doubt you are actually a lapin blanc, but who knowswink ) You have two ways of doing this -mine with activity completion and Joost's with completion rules. I'll outline my way for now:

4 activities each with completion settings. One of them has to have Restrict access on it  -it will only become visible when the other three have bee marked complete. Then when this fourth activity is complete, the competency can be met. Because in order for the fourth activity to be visible the other three activities must already have been completed.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Fabien Toune -

lol, I completed my profile :D

Ok, that's what I guessed. I will probably use a simple summary page, which will only appear when all completion requirements are fulfilled.

So the student will only have to display this page to mark the competency as met...

Not a perfect solution for me though : for example,  if a student fails for a quizz as a whole, but meet the requirement for a competency, this summary page won't show...

Btw, I understand that my expectations are too specific wink Eventually, I will probably fall back to the solution where all involved activities will be reported as proof for manual evaluation of the competency, which is great too and offers more flexibility.