Invalid course module ID with Pearson MyLab plugin

Invalid course module ID with Pearson MyLab plugin

by Scot Hacker -
Number of replies: 4

We have installed the Pearson MyLab and Mastering plugin in Moodle 3.0. After adding the Pearson block to a page, it needs to be configured. But when we click the link in the block to begin configuration, we get an error on page http://moodle.ourdomain.edu/mod/lti/view.php?l=2 (or any page ID)

Invalid course module ID

If I enable debug for more information, I get:

Debug info: 

Error code: invalidcoursemodule
Stack trace:
  • line 230 of /lib/modinfolib.php: moodle_exception thrown
  • line 1008 of /lib/pagelib.php: call to course_modinfo->get_cm()
  • line 76 of /mod/lti/view.php: call to moodle_page->set_cm()

Installation details:

PHP version = 5.5.9
Apache server version = 20120211
Moodle version = 3.0.6
Pearson Moodle block version = 2016051800

I have been in a lengthy support thread with Pearson about this, but they are unable to replicate the problem and asked me to post a support question here. 

Does this error usually result from a problem in a plugin, or with Moodle itself? (why are trying to figure out whether the problem is in the plugin or in our installation).  Any suggestions for debugging this further? 

Thanks.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Scot Hacker

Re: Invalid course module ID with Pearson MyLab plugin

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The error itself is from within Moodle, but is caused, almost certainly, by the janky way Pearson does things. We've run into all sorts of weird problems and bad coding with their plugins, and we internally patch it some to make it more workable - we try to engage them, but it never gets anywhere.

Just to confirm - you install the entire suite of plugins? IIRC you need a local, a block, and a mod.

When you add the block to a course, it should also add a number (2 I think) copies of their mod resource to the course (which is LTI, but it's still a separate module you have to install). Those have to stay there - if you delete them, the course integration breaks - even if you re-add them later. You should be able to click on the "MyLab & Mastering Tools - Registration" activity, not the block, to configure a course for use.

In reply to Eric Merrill

by Scot Hacker -

Thanks for the response Eric. 

Yes, their installation instructions specified installation of several pieces, including a block and a mod. The installation went well and Moodle doesn't report any errors related to the installation. 

> When you add the block to a course, it should also add a number (2 I think) copies of their mod resource to the course 

Not sure I'm looking this up right, but if I look up rows in `mdl_resource` for this course, I don't see any rows related to the Pearson plugin - that sounds like a problem right there, right? 

If I try to add an Activity to the course and select the Pearson module, I get a configuration page with a required but empty  "Available links" dropdown. I can't save that config page because there are no Available Links to select. 

Do these symptoms give us any additional clues? 

Thanks.

Attachment Screenshot 2017-04-03 16.21.23.png
In reply to Scot Hacker

by Eric Merrill -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

No, they wouldn't be in mdl_resource. They would actually be in mdl_lti, but if its happening right, they should show up somewhere in the course when you are logged in. You use that to then connect the course to myitlab.

I would try again in a test course. We have occasionally had problems with individual courses here and there.

In reply to Eric Merrill

by Scot Hacker -

OK, I do see one row for this course in the `mdl_lti`table. Sounds like you think there should be two rows?

This is a test course - nearly blank. To be certain, I tried adding the block and activity to another course, and got exactly the same errors.

I still don't have a clue what path forward I have from here. Is there anything concrete I can try? Maybe I should also open a ticket with Moodle.

Thanks if you have any further suggestions - we really appreciate it.