Re-usable Glossary Lessons

Re-usable Glossary Lessons

le Tom Murdock -
Number of replies: 2

Hi all,

I'm interested in collecting a handful of prompts/configurations of the glossary module that you have used (and re-used) in your courses. (See example below) 

My goal is to create a new "Instruction Block" that lets teachers rapidly design courses using lessons that are trusted and pre-configured.

If you don't have any specific suggestions, could you recommend a friend who is a Glossary Superstar?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

e.g.

NAME:

Observations from Reading

DESCRIPTION:

Every night that you read from Tim O'Brien's novel, The Things They Carried, please also do the following:  

Create a glossary item including:

1. A name/concept/main idea
  2. A sentence introducing an idea that you noticed in your reading.
  3. 1-2 sentences quoted from the text (include page number)
  4. 2-3 sentences of analysis/evidence that support your idea.

e.g. 

1. Truth
  2. The soldiers in the story have experiences that they can barely believe are real.
  3. “A thing may happen and be a total lie; another thing may not happen and be truer than the truth" (p22).
  4.  The narrator summarizes the way that truth becomes a casualty of war.  One also wonders what lies are being told in the story and to what purpose.

SETTINGS:

• approve by default
  • always allow editing
  • no duplicate entries allowed
  • allow comments on entries
  • automatically link glossary entries

HOW I TEACH WITH THIS

• See who is up to date on reading
  • Select glossaries to discuss/challenge/celebrate with group
  • Students co-create a reader's guide while reading
  • Provide a variety of ideas for future essay topics
  • Assign specific roles to students to review glossary items (angel of repetition, angel of clarity, angel of evidence) 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Murdock

Re: Re-usable Glossary Lessons

le Paula Clough -

Tom,

Have you checked out the entries in Moodle.net?  Most are true glossaries rather than assignments. You might also check out the database entries/presets? Some of the entries there could be modified into glossary activities if that's what you want though I prefer the database for its flexibility in being able to  design more structured places for information etc. Also in the demo site Mount Orange>Moodle Resources> Moodle Recipes in the database activity are some suggestions by instructors on ways to use the glossary activity.  Also in that demo in the Activity Examples, there are samples of glossaries and databases.  Again the glossaries are used mostly as glossaries with vocab. 

Also check out the following discussion for some older ideas but also a glossary of the ideas that were added back in 2006 or 2009.  Also some of the postings have backups of the glossaries that can be used. 

https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=54403

The Moodle Exchange that is the predecessor to the Moodle.net

Hope that helps. smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paula Clough

Re: Re-usable Glossary Lessons

le Tom Murdock -

Yup.  I checked those places and found some good stuff.  Just wondering whether any newer glossary lessons are circulating.  

Thanks for your response!