Generic Question about Poodll Repository (and repos more generally)

Generic Question about Poodll Repository (and repos more generally)

by William Stewart -
Number of replies: 3

Background Context - Cleaning up LOTS of old and unused stuff, and otherwise simplifying the installation.

I've come to nearly the end of my list and I was looking at datafield for Poodll (we don't use the database activity for anything) so I added it to my remove list.

Then I got to Poodll Repository.

Poodll repository. I'm trying to wrap my head around what it is and exactly how it works. It is basically just allowing a folder to add files to/take from that get stored there? I see in the settings it says 6 site wide instances, but, zero category or course instances since it isn't enabled in any courses. 

We use Poodll for submissions with the assignment activity, qtype for the quiz activity, as well as the necessary Poodll filter to render the audio player/recorder. My ultimate question is can I uninstall the poodll repository plugin without it affecting the aforementioned assignment submission, qtype, and filter in any way?

I totally get this is due to my lack of understanding of what the repositories are/how they work but I appreciate any advice anyone has to offer smile.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to William Stewart

Re: Generic Question about Poodll Repository (and repos more generally)

by Justin Hunt -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

The repository is the original way of getting files into the Moodle file system for use in the current activity.

For example, if you go to add a picture into an html area, the popup dialog allows you to enter a URL, or to "browse repositories"(usually)

Once you are in the repositories area , you have options to:

•  upload a file
  • choose from server/recent/private files area
  • (optionally) get a file from google drive
  • (optionally) get a file from wikimedia 

etc

Its not just html areas either. The little file attachments drag and drop area, that you see under forum post forms and in other places, is also powered by the repository system.

Regarding Poodll, mostly you do not need the Poodll repository any more. Poodll Anywhere for Atto and TinyMCE allow you to record/draw into a text area faster than going via the repository system. But you might need it sometimes, eg when you only have a file attachments area.

Removing it won't affect anything else in Poodll. So you can safely remove it I think. Repository intances actually need to be setup, so if you did not do that then its doubtful you are using it anyway.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Justin Hunt

Re: Generic Question about Poodll Repository (and repos more generally)

by William Stewart -

Justin (and John),

Thanks for the replies and information. I see what you mean-have to go the file manager and that's where the 6 repository instances are. I've never used them and I don't think any one has ever used them. My guess is the previous admin simply installed all of the Poodll mods regardless of whether they were used or not. I see what you mean that if the editor doesn't have Poodll Anywhere, you would need to use the Repository short cut (provided it's there) through the file manager. And if there is no editor available, then the file attachments area is the only way to access it.

Adding it to my remove list smile. Thanks for clarifying.