Online Assignment: assignment templates: putting emoticons to use: wiki history

Online Assignment: assignment templates: putting emoticons to use: wiki history

by Dennis Daniels -
Number of replies: 0
Having tried using uploading files for assignments when running a course via email (don't do it!) I dread the plethora of file types my students will send me if I use moodle file upload for assignments...

The assignments module needs an online component so students don't need any other software than a browser and internet access.

Ideally the online assignment would be done in a wiki mode because wikis have history, so if I reject a paper as being inc. I can see that a student has made changes/revisions to the document.

I would very much like to have a templating structure for the assignment so that I can create the template as a web form, the students fill out the template in the browser that way I can control the input structure...

Each template should have an id so that it'll be stored in the db and reused ad nauseum, with a save as... feature.

One of the really nice things I'd like to see is customization of the emoticons/ smileys. There should be an option for grammar markings... the smileys are cute but are not very useful for providing feedback about a run-on, frag, S-V agreement, etc. If the assignments were done in the moodle interface then I could use only a browser and not have to worry about crazy file/mime types.

The help text says:
Upload a single file - this type of assignment allows all students to upload a single file, of any type. This might be a Word processor document, or an image, a zipped web site, or anything you ask them to submit. Teachers can grade submitted assignments online.

But I'd beg to differ, having tried this before, viewing different mime types can be a bear. It would be nice if there was the third option of doing the assignment online. If nothing else, force mime types confirmation, that way I can set file types that I'm prepared to handle... the issue of security re: embedded file viruses has been mentioned elsewhere but it is an unpleasant idea having students uploading infected files to wreak havoc on my machine. An online assignment completion component would be very nice.

Thank you for considering my ideas.
Denny

Average of ratings: Useful (1)