Size of the Flash movies in tutorials

Size of the Flash movies in tutorials

by Josep M. Fontana -
Number of replies: 5
Hi,

I added a link to the excellent video tutorials that Paul Treadwell has put together in one of my courses and some students have complained that the size of the movie is too big on their screens. I have a 17' screen and I also noticed that I had to scroll up and down to be able to view the presentation and control the play/pause/stop buttons.

I've downloaded one of the movies to see whether I could reduce the size of the flash movie using Dreamweaver but I have been unsuccessful so far. I don't seem to be able to reduce the size of the table where the movie is inserted and when I try to reduce the size of the movie itself I loose part of the image (the control buttons disappear, for instance).

Does Paul or somebody else know of a solution for this? Does one need to have access to Macromedia Flash to reduce the size of the movie?

Thanks in advance.

Josep M.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

Re: Size of the Flash movies in tutorials

by Paul Treadwell -
Joseph,

I can regenerate version in a smaller screen size and make those available as well. I'll work on that next monday or tuesday, after our holiday. Shouldn't take too long.

I forget, sometimes, that not everyone has what I have at work...I really should know better by now....

Cheers,
Paul
In reply to Paul Treadwell

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks Paul,

Just to know this in case I'm faced with the same situation again, do you need Macromedia Flash to reduce the size of the movie? You cannot do it via Dreamweaver?

Josep M.
In reply to Josep M. Fontana

by Paul Treadwell -
Josep,

I used Camtasia Studio to capture and generate the flash video. I am in no way a flash wizard, so I don't know how it would work to reduce them in flash. I've just re-produced them using Camtasia to get them down to 640x480.

Given time I could have someone here muck about a bit in flash, just to test the idea of using it to reduce the size.

And the 640x480 versions are now available. I hesitate to reduce them much further as I think it would be too hard to follow. I hope these new versions work for your students.

Paul

by Josep M. Fontana -
Thanks a lot Paul. I'll check out the new versions.

Josep M.

by patrick Frickel -

Hi all,

I by no means a flash guru but here are my findings on Camtasia and Flash.

I also use Camtasia for developing training material on software processes and found that recording at 640x480. I don't change the screen res, I size the window to 640x480 then record. When you compile the flash output in Camtasia leaving the size as the original, I found, greatly reduces the size of the flash file.

Patrick