Transformation of sentence type of question

Re: Transformation of sentence type of question

by Gordon Bateson -
Number of replies: 3
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello Henrique,

> I've tried all the possibilities

Could you give us more details about what you have tried?

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Henrique Hackenhaar -

Sure! 

I've tried creating it in all the hotpotatoes options (different softwares inside the program)... but none of them seems suitable for this kind of activity... maybe it is just my logic that is not going right... I could create all the other type of activities - gap, matching... - only this one, that I can't think of any possibility.. 

Any ideia? 

In reply to Henrique Hackenhaar

by Melvin Shantz -

Henrique,

I have uploaded a small exercise that is probably what you are looking for:

http://mshantz2.profweb.ca/demo/NegativeForms3.htm

I have tried to make the exercise real obvious with lots of instructions. Students working regularly with this sort of exercise are quickly familiar with what to do and fewer instructions are necessary, reducing screen clutter.

Different answers are accepted in the demo. The only problem you sometimes run into are the different types of apostrophe out there. I have only built answer options into the demo that use the standard straight one. I could get around this problem through instructions telling the student about the apostrophe issue or by simply telling them not to use contractions. That is not the direction you have inquired about and the example exercise at the link above goes in the direction you are hoping for. In the labs I work in, apostrophes are not a problem and judging by the apostrophe showing up in your question to this forum, the demo shouldn't be a problem for you either. They begin to be a problem when students work at home on a wide variety of machines and keyboards. But I digress. Press F5 to refresh the demo and try different answers.

The file was created using JCloze that uses Michael Rottmeier's most excellent Find-It-Correct script, or hack, for Hot Potatoes instead of the regular JCloze source files. He has two scripts Find-It and Find-It-Correct that add a truly unique pedagogical functionality to the Hot Potatoes JCloze. When combined with all the other Hot Potatoes (and more) pedagogical options available to TaskChain, these scripts are what make the whole Hot Potatoes/TaskChain/Moodle combo so powerful to my mind, certainly in language teaching. 

Michael Rottmeier's website is at: http://teachingtools.michael-rottmeier.de/Home_1.htm

I can't get into technical details here. But Stan Bogdanov's fine Hot Potatoes site at http://ewbooks.info/hotpot/ has information and demos. There are also tutorials on youtube for the Find-it script by Glenys Hanson and more.

Finally, I should add that I also do the same kind of transformation exercise very effectively using the Moodle Pattern Match question format. The Regular Expression question types, of which there are two, would also work really well. All of them allow for an amazing amount of variation in the answers you might accept as long as you are comfortable with the coding needed in the answer fields when creating the questions. At this point, these question types would need to be installed as plug-ins into your Moodle.

Hours of fun ahead of you here. Good luck.

Mel

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Melvin Shantz

by Henrique Hackenhaar -
Wow Mel! This is a lot! Thank you so much, I'll begin studying it right now! 

I deeply appreciate your effort on answering!