Moodle 2.8 - upload users by excel

Moodle 2.8 - upload users by excel

by Denia H. -
Number of replies: 4

Hello, is there a  Moodle System known problem with the sending mail using the excel upload file?

If not, what can be the option to solve it when we know that there isnt any problem with our mail relay server and so  the Moodle succeed to send a message from the server to the user. But when i used the upload file, it didnt send. 

We used to upload an excel file  a several of times before...& it sent the emails but usually it was just for a few users, this time it was around the 100. 

pls assist

Tnx Denia

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Denia H.

Re: Moodle 2.8 - upload users by excel

by Luis de Vasconcelos -

Are you trying to register new users and send them an email saying that they have been registered?

Is your "Excel" file a real .xls file or just a .csv file? Remember, there are two different types of "excel files". The older .xls format and the newer, xml based, .xlsx format. Which one are you using?

I would do this:
Open the file in Excel and save it as a .csv file. Then open the .csv file in a text editor and check it - there should be one row for each student you are trying to register. Once you've confirmed that the .csv is the correct format import that .csv file into Moodle to create your users.

In reply to Luis de Vasconcelos

by Denia H. -

Hello Luis,

We use the csv file & the users get their roll on the moodle but sometimes the moodle doent send the email about the register.

we know how to do it, we did it a several of time but seems to be instability in the system  about sending the emails...

you can read here

https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-46589

In reply to Denia H.

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Denia,

I see you're using Moodle 2.8, for which no updates are being published anymore. Is it possible to upgrade to a newer version? This might fix the bug in the mailing of user account details.

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Denia H. -

Hello Joost, Yes we intend to it during the year, so it means there is an instability... ?

Thank you