Swapping php.ini files

Swapping php.ini files

by Kristian C -
Number of replies: 0

Hi everyone, 

I was hoping that the community could help shed some light on something for me. I've been looking for a way to upgrade to Moodle 2.7 on a server running Ubuntu 12.04. Initially, the biggest obstacle was that using apt-get, I was only able to install PHP 5.3.10 and Moodle 2.7 requires at least PHP 5.4.4. So I followed the instructions outlined here: https://www.dev-metal.com/how-to-install-latest-php-5-4-x-on-ubuntu-12-04-lts-precise-pangolin/ and successfully installed PHP 5.4.4. 

However, I've now run into a new challenge. After upgrading PHP, Moodle is no longer handling sessions properly. Whenever I try to upload a SCORM package or large file to a course, I receive an error message stating that "a required parameter (sesskey) was missing". I looked at the sessions directory and it appears that Moodle stopped writing new sessions after upgrading PHP. I thought that I might have run into a permssions problem, but that does not appear to be the case. 

I then replaced the php.ini file with the old 5.3 php.ini file and that appears to have resolved the problem. 

My question is, do you think that using the old php.ini file with an upgraded PHP package will cause me problems in the future? 

Average of ratings: -