Encrypted the mdf files

Encrypted the mdf files

by michael morrison -
Number of replies: 5

Hi all! today we caught a very serious virus. My I. T. Staff said that our last backup of the sql databases is 15 days old. The virus has encrypted the mdf files, but not touched the ldf files. Also our T-log backups are not available but we have a full t-log from the original server. Is there any way we can take a 15 day old backup of the mdf files and some how bring it up to date by importing the ldf files?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to michael morrison

Re: Encrypted the mdf files

by William Lu -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Moving to General help forum....

In reply to William Lu

by michael morrison -

and any idea on this problem?

In reply to michael morrison

by ejvind johannsen -

Ok - maybe I misunderstood, but if your mdf and ldf files are not corrupted you should be able to try to copy one set of mdf/ndf/ldf files for one database from old server to the new server in a separate folder and see if you can attach them from there under different DB name. N worries - to rename a DB is easy and no real impact exists.

Do that only after a FULL VIRUSCAN of ALL files you copy from old environment.

In reply to ejvind johannsen

by ejvind johannsen -

In my opinion you have 3 options if T-log backups are not available:

1. (worst) take the 12 days data loss hit - most likely unacceptable

2. start old SQL somehow but DISCONNECTED from ANY network (stand alone) and try to take a T-log backup then VIROSCAN that t-log backup file and try to restore it over the new restored DB.

3. start old SQL somehow but DISCONNECTED from ANY network (stand alone) and try to use some third party tools like SQL Server Recovery Toolbox for microsoft sql database recovery (try maybe you find some free code) that will allow you to take all transactions and run them like a SQL script against the new restored DB.

http://www.oemailrecovery.com/sql_recovery.html