Messaging: Viewing old messages?

Messaging: Viewing old messages?

by Samuel Henderson -
Number of replies: 15
Hello,

Is there any way for users to view old messages (ones that have already popped up)?  All I can find is the "search" function -- but that only works if you know what to search for.

Many thanks,

Sam Henderson
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Samuel Henderson

Re: Messaging: Viewing old messages?

by Chardelle Busch -
Picture of Core developers
We had quite a discussion about this a while back (I'm not sure where it is). The problem is that if you get a message from someone, then close the window--you're SOL if you do not remember who sent it or what they said (in other words, you don't know what to search for).

What I do now is first thing I add the user to my contact list--that way I can always find it again by looking through the message history of my contacts.

Another tip is to search for a common word, such as "the" and see if you can find it that way.
In reply to Chardelle Busch

by Dawn Wright -
We're just running into this problem - not being able to quickly find messages that have been read. We were using the Dialogue mod and faculty got used to being able to track student messages, so I am getting a lot of complaints about this. Is this a bug or intentional design? Is there a work around other than trying to remember to add the sender to your Contact list?
In reply to Dawn Wright

by Mon B -

I've just discovered this myself. It seems an odd design.

An easy 'message history' area would be great, with perhaps an Administrator defined limit of how many messages can be kept by users (to reduce server load)?

smile

In reply to Mon B

by Arara CD -
Is there still no answer for this? This has been driving me mad.
In reply to Arara CD

by Scott Owens -

The question aroudn this for us, is us as admins can see student/faculty replies by clicking message history if we know the student, but when the faculty is logged in they can only see their messages sent to students and not the replies, is this a  security thing or what????

Where is this dialog message found.

Scott Owens

by Chandrashekar Ramanathan -
Hi,

I am newbie to this forum. I see that this thread was last updated in 2007. I was just wondering if there has been any solution to the problem of being able to view old messages. We are just migrating from Manhattan and our faculty members are used to that model. Any inputs to make this transition smooth would be great.

Thanks,
Chandrashekar

by Muhammad Ajmal -

Hi ... I am still waiting, if anyone got the solution of this problem. I saw that reply with database access with phpmyadmin console but that is not what we are looking for. I think we should make one routine which can be usefull for everybody.

In reply to Muhammad Ajmal

by Martin Hermsen -
We are developing a new Message System based on the old one. It has an In/Outbox for these Problems.
We have only changed the code/frontend, but not the databse or other core somponents it should be what you are searching for. I think we will distribute it in the plugin Database in some weeks.
In reply to Martin Hermsen

by Udaykumar Shenoy -
That would be great. I am waiting for the release. Is it ready? Or where I get the pointer when it happens?
Thanks.

by Muhammad Ajmal -
Thank martin, Great!!! We are waiting for the release. Please do let us know when it will be ready.

by Travis Burrell -
Any news on this new message system?
In reply to Travis Burrell

by Matt Ladwig -
When you click on 'message history' you should see all of the communication you have had with that person.
In reply to Muhammad Ajmal

by Stephen Watson -

I ran into this problem here in 2012 as it seems there is still no clear way to view old messages. However, it is possible. Just not obivous.

To view message history:

1) Click on a participants name.

2) Click the 'Send Message' button underneath the participant's information. 

3) Click 'Message History' link. A new window should pop-up with the message history. So also be sure your pop-up blocker for Moodle is deavtivated. 

It seems strange to have to begin sending a message to view message history..but, hey. It works. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stephen Watson

by Bregham Dalgliesh -

Just followed your advice and worked perfectly, thanks very much, a great help indeed!