Creating parent/child relationships for users (company group with multiple users)

Creating parent/child relationships for users (company group with multiple users)

by Ian Mckay -
Number of replies: 6

Hi can anybody give me a little bit of advice on this. We have a client that we are setting up a Moodle Academy for and they want to be able to register a number of companies within the application that have multiple associated users within them.

I think I can use groups for this, but I have to manually create the group and move the users into this group.

The idea would be that a company is created, users invited and then using a key (which links them to a particular company group) the are able to register and are automatically associated with that company/group.

Also, is there any interface when the main owner of a group (i.e. the company) can then manage the users in their group. So passing management of these groups to the associated company.

I hope this makes sense.

Moodle Version: Moodle 3.2.2 (Build: 20170313) Version 2016120502 Stable version

Cheers,

Ian Mckay

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ian Mckay

Re: Creating parent/child relationships for users (company group with multiple users)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Have a look at www.iomad.org.  It's a fork of Moodle created for exactly this scenario. 

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Creating parent/child relationships for users (company group with multiple users)

by Ian Mckay -

Thanks for your help Howard, I'll take a look.

Our client is a medical suppliers covering lots of products. We are creating a learning resource that will be marketing to all of their customers (each customer is company). The company will register and then invite its own employees into the system and their group. Will the above solution support this approach?

In reply to Ian Mckay

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes - you can create courses which are accessible to all your clients. However, users from different client companies will be separated from each other completely. It also has department/company reporting and various other things. 

For example, it's used a lot in safety training where the same training packages are sold to loads of different companies. To the companies, it looks like they all have their own Moodle.

by Ian Mckay -

Hi Howard, this is for a single company offering courses to their customers (all independent care homes). But each care home will have a manager who will have a master account. The idea is that each manager can then add and remove their staff as and when they need without have to make a request to our client. Do you think the solution you have suggested answers this too? Cheers Ian

In reply to Ian Mckay

by Howard Miller -

That's *exactly* what it's intended for smile

by Ian Mckay -

Thanks Howard,

one last question. I have already created the application using the standard Moodle installation - themed, etc.

If I use this new fork will it mean that I will need to re-apply my theming to this new application. Shouldn't take me too long, but I just want to check there isn't a different approach you can suggest.

Here is a link to my current development site:

http://careshop.foundrydev.co.uk/

Regards,

Ian