Teaching with Moodle

Best Practice Assessment setup

Picture of Jackie Simmons
Best Practice Assessment setup

I have the following quiz/assessment to enter into Moodle.  What would be the best way to capture this and grade it?  I am new to moodle so some detailed instructions would be greatly appreciated.

"What are the two bases on which solids moisture can be reported?  Answer is dry basis or wet basis."

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Rick Jerz
Re: Best Practice Assessment setup
Particularly helpful Moodlers

I like to use multiple choice questions whenever possible since Moodle can automatically grade these. I like to randomly pick questions from a question bank, and then randomize the order of the choices.

For your question, you could have:

1) dry basis or wet basis

2) dry basis and heated basis

3) by temperature

4) acids and bases

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of lucia liljegren

You could also try pattern match questions.  They are nice if you want them to think up the answers rather than recognizing them in options.

Give this a try as the question:
What are the two bases on which solids moisture can be reported?  ____20x1____

(The 20x1 will create a 20 character long 1 row tall entry box.)

Then code to accept right answers.

Different people will put more or less complicated pattern matches. But I'd probably give credit for almost anything that had both "wet" and "dry" in it.  So in answer 1 I'd put

match_any(
match_mow(wet dry)
)
and give 100% for that.

For answer 2, I might do
match_any(
match_mow(wet)
match_mow(dry)
)
I'd give 50% for answer 2 and provide feedback that they got one of the two correct.

There are various other things you can do depending on what you are worried students might do in filling out the box.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Dave Sherwin
Particularly helpful Moodlers

If I understand your question that you want the students to only have two choices. Then you could make it very simple by using a Multiple Choice question and list only the two choices. The question defaults to have 3 answer choices, but I have only used two and marked the correct answer 100% and it worked for me. So it is sort of like a T/F question with only two options...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
Picture of Jason Touw

I use two test generators that work pretty well to import my own questions.  I use Test Wizard, http://www.testwizard.com.  I create the test in test wizard, then I save it as a PDF.  I open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat Pro and save it as a Plain Text file.  I open the plain text file and modify the format to match Aiken format, which moodle can read.  That is faster than retyping or cutting and pasting individual questions.  The images are lost in the TXT file conversion, so I have to go to the images in the PDF and take a snapshot, which I save as a JPG, and then edit the questions in moodle that need images by inserting the JPG.  I know it seems like a lot of steps, but again, easier than typing them all in moodle manually.

The other test generator I use that comes with a lot of textbooks is ExamView.  ExamView works a little more seamlessly in that from ExamView you can export the test to Blackboard format.  Moodle can import the Blackboard format directly.  Images still need to be imported.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
Picture of Jackie Simmons

Thank you everyone for your suggestions.  They are all very useful and as I grow my skills I will use them all.  For now I will go with the multiple choice.

Thanks again

Jackie

Average of ratings: -