Student can bypass course?

Student can bypass course?

by Lisa Nally -
Number of replies: 6

Hi all. I'm looking for a solution to a problem. I have set up my online courses as follows:

Topic 1 - Play Course

Topic 2 - Take Quiz

Topic 3 - Get Certificate

Users are able to by pass Play Course by clicking on it, watching 5 or 10 seconds, then going to the Quiz. Is there a way to lock it down where they have to watch the entire presentation before going to the quiz? 

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lisa Nally

Re: Student can bypass course?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Are you saying "Play course" is a video they must watch? If so then put the video in a Lesson activity and use Restrict access so that they must stay in the lesson for the length of the video before it is marked as complete. Then they won't be able to do the quiz until the length of the video has passed. Now - that doesn't mean they will watch the video but since they have nothing better to do, they might as well! There is an old screencast here (of an earlier version of Moodle ) that might be useful:

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Lisa Nally -

I like this idea but the files are .html files. It's an articulate file technically. The .html doesn't seem to play in the lesson. What type of file should I be using for this?

In reply to Lisa Nally

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Lisa,

Another way would be to put a password on the quiz and provide the password at the end of the presentation.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Lisa Nally

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is also this technique to force students to watch a video: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clockwork_Orange_(film)#Psychology

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Melissa . -
Is there a text version of the video?  Is there are corresponding "textbook" that has everything that is said put into a traditional text version?  Do you give the students the choice to either read the material or watch the video?  Is there some benefit to actually watching the video as opposed to just reading an article about the material?

The reason I am asking is that I am also assigning videos to my students, but each video also has a corresponding "textbook" chapter.  If the student wants to just read the textbook and looks at the examples in the textbook, then personally I do not really care if they watch the video or they don't watch the video.  I just want them to absorb the material and demonstrate that they know the material through their homework assignments.  It does not really matter to me how they absorb the material.

Unless it is something where the material really can't be presented in a traditional paper version, then I do not think that watching a video should ever be a requirement.  If there is something in the video that can't be presented in the same way in a paper version (for example, listening to the original "I Have A Dream Speech"), then you need to explain in the description the benefits of the video over just reading the text, and why you believe the video is a benefit over the just reading the text.

How many times do you personally go on a news site and just read the text of the video as opposed to watching the news article?  I almost never watch a video on a news article site.  I am just saying this to present a counter argument to requiring the student to watch a video.

Melissa

Average of ratings: Useful (1)