Applying patch to protect against CVE-2017-2641

Applying patch to protect against CVE-2017-2641

by B J -
Number of replies: 18

I see this patch:

https://git.moodle.org/gw?p=moodle.git&a=search&h=HEAD&st=commit&s=MDL-58010

is listed by this blog ( http://netanelrub.in/2017/03/20/moodle-remote-code-execution/ ) , that goes into great detail regarding a vulnerability that looks like it affects all Moodle versions.

Is this patch only in the upcoming 3.3?  Or can it be applied to older versions of Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to B J

Re: Applying patch to protect against CVE-2017-2641

by Mike Churchward -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The patch has already been released in the latest versions listed here - https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=349419#p1409805.

In reply to Mike Churchward

by James McLean -

I haven't digested the posted article completely as yet, but Marina's advisory states on 3.1, it is only exploitable by admin/manager and via the API. More specific details around this would be appreciated.

Is there no mitigation we can apply until we are able to patch?

In reply to B J

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

The patch for this issue is included in the last minor release, as Mike said. Netanel was kind enough not to disclose the exploit scenario until the public announcement, which was done yesterday, a week after the release (as usual).

Very simple search by the issue number in github returns:

Commit in master branch: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/6e65554ea19f4e90c09864081e47424f8efca02e

Commit in 3.2 branch: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/ca3cbbc2334840f94f5e9622699666c10835241d

Commit in 3.1 branch: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/36706f5b983a057f156f87b3de104569b82ddf03

Commit in 3.0 branch: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/0833e7cfc75c88808257d33d1cd5eb3518150eb0

Commit in 2.7 branch: https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/b34eca2f9eb10c3d8519c9068fe40863de3f3bf1

As you can see, in 2.7, 3.0 and 3.1 only two web services are affected. They check capabilities 'moodle/user:create' or 'moodle/user:update' that are normally given to managers or users who manage other users in the system. Hopefully they are trusted users. Besides, these two web services are neither accessible by AJAX nor part of Mobile and therefore are not enabled by default. Impact of this security issue on these versions is not very big but it still exists.

For Moodle 3.2 this is a very serious security vulnerability and everybody must upgrade as soon as possible. There is also another serious issue in the same release.

I want to remind everybody that Moodle follows fixed release schedule and security issues are fixed in minor releases that come out on second Monday of January, March, May, July, September and November (odd months). Even if we delay the major releases (second Monday of May and November), the minors still come out on scheduled dates. This allows our users to plan upgrades in advance and maintain their installations secure.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)
In reply to Marina Glancy

by Daniel Poggenpohl -
Picture of Core developers

Hi,

we're currently running Moodle 2.8.5+ and are in the process of upgrading to Moodle 3.2. We're dealing with custom Moodle code during the upgrade. So we can't just go and just patch our systems.

The commits above are for the 2.7 and 3.0 branches of Moodle. We are currently comparing the two commits and are trying to extract the necessary code changes to make in our Moodle 2.8.5 installation.

We hope that is the right way to go about doing this. Any pointers?

In reply to Daniel Poggenpohl

by Marina Glancy -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Moodle Workplace team Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

commits for 2.7 are 3.0 are very similar, you can try to cherry-pick either of them. You don't need changes to the unittests if you just apply the patch so it can save some time merging

by sara HHH -

many thanks dear Marina ,

for moodle 3.1.1 is that enough to apply this 6 chaned file from https://github.com/moodle/moodle/commit/36706f5b983a057f156f87b3de104569b82ddf03  for security  or shall i do some thing extra?

many thanks

In reply to sara HHH

by Marina Glancy -

The severity of this security issue on 3.1 is not very big as I described above. If web services are not enabled on your site it does not affect you at all. I would worry more about MSA-17-0009 from the last release that allows to execute XSS for any registered user.

Why don't you just upgrade your 3.1.1 to 3.1.5 and pick ALL security fixes from https://moodle.org/security/ ?

by Pooja Ambre -

Hi MArina,

Thank you for the details. I have Moodle version 2.9 installed, can I use the same patch as of version 2.7? could you please advise?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Pooja

by Kristian C -

As you can see, in 2.7, 3.0 and 3.1 only two web services are affected. They check capabilities 'moodle/user:create' or 'moodle/user:update' that are normally given to managers or users who manage other users in the system. Hopefully they are trusted users. Besides, these two web services are neither accessible by AJAX nor part of Mobile and therefore are not enabled by default. Impact of this security issue on these versions is not very big but it still exists.

I realise that this wouldn't be a best practice, but if the vulnerabilities for Moodle 2.7, 3.0, and 3.1 are limited to moodle/user:create and moodle/user:update, could I limit my vulnerability by prohibiting those capabilities for all non-admins until I've patched? 
In reply to Kristian C

by Marina Glancy -

Kristian, yes.

Another quick patch is to comment out these two lines: 1, 2

by Kristian C -

One more quick follow-up... Would disabling web services mitigate this risk on all versions, or just 3.2.

The severity of this security issue on 3.1 is not very big as I described above. If web services are not enabled on your site it does not affect you at all. I would worry more about MSA-17-0009 from the last release that allows to execute XSS for any registered user. 

In reply to Kristian C

by Mike Churchward -

On 3.2, this is an issue in the UI. Disabling web services will not help on 3.2.

Disabling web services will mitigate the risk below 3.2.

mike

by Kristian C -

Hi Mike, 

Thanks for the quick turnaround. I should have chosen my words more carefully. When you say "mitigate", do you mean that it reduces the risk on versions below 3.2 or that it eliminates the risk on versions below 3.2?

Thanks again

In reply to Kristian C

by Mike Churchward -

"My understanding" is that below 3.2, the risk is only through web services, and only by privileged users. Turning off the services for those versions should eliminate the risk.

by Marina Glancy -

Version 3.2 - disabling web services will NOT fix the problem. You must apply the patch. As a temporary workaround remove capability 'moodle/user:editownmessageprofile' from authenticated user role but this will also disable them from editing their messaging preferences so this can not be used as a long-term solution.

Version 3.1 and earlier - either patch your code like I recommended above or disable web services or do nothing - check who of your users have capabilities to create or update other users and make sure you trust that they won't break your server. I'm sure you don't issue these capabilities to random people anyway.

I have also commented on other forum discussion about security issues with evidence of prior learning on 3.1 and 3.2

by Wolf Ventir -

Is commenting out these two lines a viable mitigation strategy for Moodle 2.5 and 1.9? Doubt a security patch will come out, so disabling the ability to update user prefs seems valid strategy if thats what this done. 

Thank you

In reply to Wolf Ventir

by Marina Glancy -

Yes, 2.5 is no longer supported even for security fixes so you have to patch it yourself.

Sorry, I do not know if these vulnerabilities are even present on 1.9 nor how to fix them.

by Nadav Kavalerchik -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
If you are not using git to cherry pick a security fix and also not upgrading your entire system, you might consider using the following BASH script to download and apply the specific security commit patch for your current stable Moodle version for that specific MDL.

https://gist.github.com/nadavkav/de1adae835eb7310b339eff642a1cc41

You can use it as follows:

./get-security-patch-for-moodle.sh MOODLE_31_STABLE MDL-57596 --dry-run

And if it looks Ok, just drop the "--dry-run"

Hope it helps

Btw, I think we should have some kind of Moodle core report of relevant security fixes for the current running version, and have it available for the administrator to download and apply them, similar to the way we upgrade plugins. as I hardly see anyone upgrade their entire system, which in my neighborhood... are highly customized and not easily upgradeable. (well, it is not a simple "git rebase" at least)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)