Uploading educational dvd-rom

Uploading educational dvd-rom

by Antoinette Newman -
Number of replies: 5

My maths department has a dvd-rom where the user chooses a topic from the front page of the dvd and then watches mini videos on the topic.  How can I load this software onto 2.7?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Antoinette Newman

Re: Uploading educational dvd-rom

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Antoinette and welcome smile. Well first of all I would make extra sure your school has the right to add the DVD to their Moodle site  -ie, the company has given permission for schools to upload it - it is not always the case. And if it IS the case, then it is possibly more likely that the company who did this Maths DVD have a VLE-friendly package (like a SCORM package or LTI link) which they produced especially for schools to use on their learning platforms, rather than having to upload the contents of a DVD rom. It's hard to say more without knowing the exact format of the contents of the DVD but I'm sceptical whether you can simply upload it "as is". Perhaps if you can give the name of the company (I am from a UK school too so I might have heard of it) then we can suggest some possiblities, assuming it is OK to add it to your Moodle site.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Antoinette Newman -

Hi Mary

I had thought that there may be a licensed version of the software, it is Maths watch.  Our Maths department had purchased a dvd for each student, as they already have the usual access to My Maths.  It is an SEN school and students find accessing multiple external resources confusing, hence the loading to MOODLE.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah I see.  I know  MyMaths from my school but I hadn't heard of Mathswatch. However, a quick google reveals they have a Mathswatch VLE which will be their online version https://vle.mathswatch.co.uk/vle/ of the DVD (which you have to pay separately for as a subscription. I saw some of the videos and materials in their demo section there.) 

I suspect then, that in addition to not having a licence for putting them on Moodle,  the DVD won't translate easily onto MOODLE anyway, because it will be in standard DVD format  and the videos won't be internet-friendly.

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Moodle in English: Re: Uploading educational dvd-rom

by Antoinette Newman -

Thank you Mary for taking the trouble to do that.  I am learning to support my colleagues as we go.  We are a small school, IT not interested in supporting this non Microsoft resource platform. But hey, us teachers can turn our hand to anything!

Regards

Antoinette

Re: Moodle in English: Re: Uploading educational dvd-rom

by Mary Cooch -

Well stick around on here then - we are all into supporting teachers here! And I spent 28 years in a regular high school, nearly ten of those with Moodle big grin