Glossary

Glossary

Picture of Does This Display
Glossary

I have a question about how to link terms from my glossary for MoodleCloud version 3.2.

First of all, I would like to say that I really like Moodle, and I opt.in to allowing Moodle to use my questions, trials and errors to help improve.

I did take the learn.moodle course, took notes, but still I have questions.

My question is how do I have terms that are in books, quizzes, or some other activities as well as in the glossary linked so that hovering over them will reveal the definition given in the glossary.  I think it was learn moodle where hovering over words in the book text would bring up the definition in a small tool-tip or comment window.

Is there some kind of plug.in I have to enable to do this?  I have written a bit of a glossary to test it out, but hovering didn't produce the desired result as described above.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Jon Bolton
Re: Glossary
Particularly helpful MoodlersTesters

This should really be in the Glossary Forum smile, but...

When you say you have written a Glossary, do you mean you have created a Glossary activity?

You also need to switch on the auto-linking filter. In Site Administration > Plugins > Filters, switch on the Glossary Auto-Linking filter.

Enabling the Glossary auto-linking filter does not automatically turn on linking for each glossary entry. In the glossary settings 'Automatically link glossary entries' should be set to Yes, and for each glossary entry the checkbox 'This entry should be automatically linked' should be ticked.

Have a look at https://docs.moodle.org/32/en/Using_Glossary for step-by-step instructions.

Mary Cooch
Re: Glossary
Documentation writersMoodle Course Creator Certificate holdersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersTestersTranslators

And in addition to what Jon says - have another look at the Learn Moodle video on Filters, of which glossary auto linking is used as an example:

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Enabling glossary auto-linking [Solved]
Core developersDocumentation writersMoodle HQParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

(I've just moved this discussion to the Glossary forum, as suggested by Jon, so other new glossary users can easily find it and benefit from reading it.)