Moodle 3.1 - The 'Calculated weight' in Grades doesn't display the values set

Moodle 3.1 - The 'Calculated weight' in Grades doesn't display the values set

by Karen Shackleford-Cesare -
Number of replies: 11

Hello,

I am baffled by an anomaly in the Gradebook for one of our Moodle courses and I wonder if you may be able to help me resolve it.

I have set the Weight for a Moodle assignment, X as 0.4 and a Turnitin assignment, Y as 0.6. There are 3 quizzes that haven’t be used and are hidden from students and so don’t contribute anything to the final grade for the course. But they each have a Weight of 1. (See attached screenshot 1-…).

1-Gradebook setup_Setup

Happily, in the Course total column (see screenshot 2-… below) the figures correspond with a (X*0.4) + (Y*0.6) value 

2-Grader report_View

and when one looks at one particular student’s Activity report-Grade (see screenshot 3-… below) 

3-Correct weighting shown_Activity report_grade

the values in the ‘Calculated weight’ column are correct (40% and 60% respectively). However, for each of the other 14 students enrolled on the course their Activity report-Grade (see screenshot 4-… below) the values in the ‘Calculated weight’ column for X and Y are incorrect as both are 50%. 

4-Incorrect weighting shown_Activity report_grade

Consequently, the corresponding values in the ‘Contribution to course total’ column are ‘wrong’ having been computed using 50%. Nevertheless, the ‘Course total’ displayed at the bottom of these individual reports is ‘correct’ as it has been computed with the correct 40% and 60% weightings. (See screenshot 5-… below for the simple ‘Course total’ formula.

5-Grade item_Edit calculation of Course total

We are using Moodle 3.1 and (although I doubt it matters), Turnitin – Moodle Direct V.2. 

Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem will be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Karen

In reply to Karen Shackleford-Cesare

Re: Moodle 3.1 - The 'Calculated weight' in Grades doesn't display the values set

by Duy Nguyen -

I am having issues with this as well. One of my course is not even giving out the course total 

I am at my wits end and have been trying to figure out the reasons why

Attachment Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 14.34.03.png
In reply to Duy Nguyen

Re: Moodle 3.1 - The 'Calculated weight' in Grades doesn't display the values set

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It is showing that it is hidden - this is either because you have hidden the total itself or you have a setting that is hiding it.  Look at your gradebook settings and see if the total is hidden if it contains hidden items...

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Duy Nguyen -

Hi Emma,

Thank you. I have inherited this moodle and did not set this up.
I have been looking at the grade settings but the course total is not shown as hidden.

Funny thing is, its only happening to this course and not anywhere else. I found out that the grade for this has been locked and dont know how to unlock it or why it was locked in the first place

Attachment Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 09.00.47.png
In reply to Duy Nguyen

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

It is happening in this course because there is a setting somewhere that is causing it.  How do you know it is locked?

What version of Moodle are you using?

From grade settings go to Edit Settings by the Course Name - post those settings but there is an lock grade checkbox there you might be able to uncheck.

Did you look at the Course Grade Settings?  What is the setting for Hide Totals if they Contain Hidden Items set to?

by Duy Nguyen -

Hi Emma,

I know that the course total was locked because I went to Grade>Grader reports > Edit

and go to the screen shown below.

There isnt a check box for me to click on to unlock the grades. Theres Override and Exclude as an option though

Im current using version 3.1.1

I have tried to use the step that you showed me but no luck.

I really do appreciate your help though

Attachment Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 08.55.16.png

by Duy Nguyen -

Hi Emma,

I know that the course total was locked because I went to Grade>Grader reports > Edit

and go to the screen shown below.

There isnt a check box for me to click on to unlock the grades. Theres Override and Exclude as an option though

Im current using version 3.1.1

I have tried to use the step that you showed me but no luck.

I really do appreciate your help though

Attachment Screen Shot 2017-05-15 at 08.55.16.png
In reply to Duy Nguyen

by Emma Richardson -

That is the single view grading screen, not the edit screen.  Go to the gradebook settings, click on the dropdown by the course name and click on Edit there.

by Sandipa Mukherjee -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

I have setup two courses in two different categories and setup "Course grade settings" same for both of the courses from Grade administration > Setup > Course grade settings.

Here is the setup 

But "Calculated weight" is shown in one of my course, not in both courses. I can not understand what is the issue behind this. Hope i will get some perfect solution.

Thanks and regards,

Sandipa Mukherjee 

In reply to Sandipa Mukherjee

by Iroshini Ratnapala -

I also have the same issue in Moodle 3.3.

In the Grade setup the weight shoes the correct percentage but in the  user report it shows as the calculated weight and one is 100% while other is 0%.

Please help.

In reply to Iroshini Ratnapala

by Emma Richardson -

This is an old post - please detail exactly what you mean with screenshots...also need to know how your gradebook is setup - what aggregation method are you using?

In reply to Karen Shackleford-Cesare

by Iroshini Ratnapala -

Hi Emma

Thanks for responding to my questions. I have found the problem in my grade book. I think Karen Shackleford-Cesare also had the same problem as me. I will mention the reason for this issue and how did I solve.

The problem is the grades are not properly shown in the user report as per the "weights" we specify in the grade settings. It shows either as 0.0% or 100.0%. It shows incorrect grades for students.

In such situation check whether the course total is overridden for that student. In the above pictures (in this thread starting post), the total is overridden. 

The solution is removing the override option of course total at the "single grade view for the student" which can get from grader report by clicking the relevant icon next to the selected student next to name column.