adding a custom font to a theme

adding a custom font to a theme

by Mahmood Naderan -
Number of replies: 22

I am confused with adding a custom font to a theme. I have a ttf font and I moved it theme/example/fonts but it seems that some other files are also needed

.eot

.woff

.svg

So where should I find them for my font?

Next question is how can I add the font name to the style? i found some pages describing that but they are not clear. Any feedback?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mahmood Naderan

Re: adding a custom font to a theme

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mahmood,

Most of what you are asking about all depends on

1. the version of Moodle you are using
  2. the theme you are adding the font to
  3. where you want the font to be seen and when,
    • for example
      • headers and content
      • content only
      • only when in RTL language

The .ttf font type should work on most computers but not necessarily on all browsers, so it is advisable to get those extra files too.

Here is a list of font types for different browsers:

https://socialcompare.com/en/comparison/browser-fonts-support-comparison

Where to find the extra font files? 

This will depend largely on if the font is FREE or if it is one that you have to pay for. So check this out by just doing a Google search for name of the font you want to use.

Adding the CSS to make the font work is not hard to do, but it will depend on where you put the styles. This could be a file that you add to the theme's style directoy. This file will need to be listed in your theme's config.php too. But all of that is mentioned in How to add custom fonts in a theme

Hope this helps?

Mary

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Evans

by Mahmood Naderan -

So, I want to add homa.ttf to a a theme named campus. That font is for RTL (right-to-left language). Looking in the theme/campus/styles, I see three files

custom.css

fonts-awesome.css

font.css

Which one should I modify?

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Mahmood,

You can add your CSS to the Campus setting page where you will find a Custom CSS text area using:

body.dir-rtl { font-family: Homa; }

Hope that helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mahmood Naderan -

Well I did that but seems that it has no effect

mahmood@ce:/var/www/html/courses/theme/campus/style$ cat custom.css
/* Campus Custom CSS
-------------------------*/
.dir-rtl .breadcrumb-nav {
    float: right;
}
body.dir-rtl { font-family: homa; }
/* Custom CSS Settings
-------------------------*/
setting:customcss

mahmood@ce:/var/www/html/courses/theme/campus/style$ cat font.css

@charset "UTF-8";
@font-face { /* where FontName and fontname represents the name of the font you want to add */
     font-family: 'FontName';
     src: url([[font:theme|homa.eot]]);
     src: url([[font:theme|homa.eot]]) format('embedded-opentype'),
          url([[font:theme|homa.woff]]) format('woff'),
          url([[font:theme|homa.ttf]]) format('truetype'),
          url([[font:theme|homa.svg]]) format('svg');
     font-weight: normal;
     font-style: normal;
   }
/* Droid Serif */
@font-face {
  font-family: 'Droid Serif';
  font-weight: 400;
  src: local('Droid Serif'), local('DroidSerif');
  src: url('[[font:theme|DroidSerif-Regular-webfont.eot]]');
  src: url('[[font:theme|DroidSerif-Regular-webfont.eot]]') format('embedded-opentype'),
       url('[[font:theme|DroidSerif-Regular-webfont.woff]]') format('woff'),
       url('[[font:theme|DroidSerif-Regular-webfont.ttf]]') format('truetype'),
       url('[[font:theme|DroidSerif-Regular-webfont.svg]]') format('svg');
}

homa.ttf is in fonts/ as below

mahmood@ce:/var/www/html/courses/theme/campus$ ls fonts/homa.ttf
fonts/homa.ttf

Any idea?

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Change 'FontName' to 'homa' and remove the lines with the other font file types.

In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mahmood Naderan -

I didn't see any change we we decided to use the default theme. Thanks.

by Mary Evans -

Assuming that you wrote the CSS for the font family correctly, you still need to Purge all caches because you have made changes to the theme.

Administraion > Site Administration > Development > Purge all caches

If it does not work after this, then you have possibly still got errors in the font CSS markup.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Gareth J Barnard -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
In reply to Gareth J Barnard

by Mahmood Naderan -
Well I was exhausted since I am not an expert in CSS codes. I tried to modify that and add my font and delete the cache but still I don't see any change. We will try that some days later in between semesters when we have free times. I will come back later. Thanks.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Mahmood,

Sorry that you are having difficulty with this. It's a strange environment when it comes to FONTS and browsers. Microsoft Internet Explorer was the only browser originally to add fonts to a website, and the best part of that was you could make your own font files using WEFT which was fun to do.  But that's another story.

OK so that you are not left out in the cold without help, I will add the fonts to a copy of the Campus theme and see if I can get it to work.

Mary

by Mary Evans -

Hi Mahmood,

Follow-up from my last comment, I tested this in the Campus theme and it appears to be working OK.

I used the following CSS

body.dir-rtl {font-family: Homa; font-size: 1em;}

in the CSS inputbox area provided in the Campus > General settings page

Administration > Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Campus > General > Custom CSS

After adding the homa.ttf to Campus/fonts/ I added the @font-face CSS at the top of the style/font.css file like this:

/* Homa */
@font-face {
  font-family: 'Homa';
      src: url([[font:theme|homa.ttf]]) format('truetype');
}

It appears to be working OK after I have Purged all caches and change to the Arabic language in the language menu in the header..

But then again I am not familiar with the Arabic language, or the font so it could be some other font although it does give the name of the font when inspecting the page with FireBug.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mahmood Naderan -

Hi Marry,

Thanks for your effort and kindness. In fact, I did the same. Previously, I delete theme cache and saw no change. However, this time I purged all caches and see some differences. So, one step forward smile

The font you showed me was homa and it is correct. Thing is, before user login, I see that some context fonts (which is persian) are in homa (which is expected to be). However, after login, the same same is shown by the default font (Times and not homa).

Please see the picture.

font picture

In addition to the font issue, another thing is that I see  that before login the text direction is correct but after login the columns are swapped. In summary, what you see before login in the attached picture is the correct form and I want to see that after login.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Mahmood,

Well at least you are moving forward with this., which is great to know.

To get the font to work in all the other places like headings etc., you need to see which fonts are being used in the theme itself. Unfortunately there are a number of fonts that are in the settings for the Campus theme, which you can change but that would require you to add the Homa font to the settings list, and not sure if that can be done easily.

As for the different layouts where before login it is (LTR), and  after login it is (RTL). Moodle 3.2 flips left to right, and has perfected this left to right swap for a good many years, and a lot of people including myself have worked to master this specific change of direction, with the layouts and also the content of every page. I suppose the best way to fix this, in your case, would be to make sure your site uses the same language before and after logging-in.

Moodle's default language is English and so if that language setting is still in place you WILL see different layouts on your site before and after login. However, if you set your Moodle site to either (ar) or (fa) depending on what your common language is, then this would fix that layout change.  You can set the layouts in the Campus custom settings within the theme and there are various options to choose from.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Mahmood Naderan -

Good news Marry...

I was surfing the theme option pages and found Site Administration->Appearance->Themes->Campus->Look and Feel. There I saw that Body font and Heading font are combo boxes which select some predefined fonts used in the theme. Then I greped the words in theme/campus and found settings.php where the font names are grouped in arrays. Then I appended Tahoma (similar to Homa) in $choices variable.

So, in addition to the adding the font to the css files, the settings.php also has to be changed. Now as you can see in the picture, all fonts are OK smile

m

Thanks you very much.

by Mary Evans -

Great news!

Cheers

Thank you for sharing your changes to the code.

Kind regards

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Uyghur Maarip -

Hi, I tried to add new .eot file to Moodle 3.4 version. I used Enlightlite theme and add the .eot file to the root and in css folder (also changed .css file) without success!

Can you SUMMARY those steps with using Moodle 3.4 version please? You can Thank you.

In the (attachment) File, I provided the sample page: .eot, svg.... and a photo showing Font difference.

In reply to Uyghur Maarip

by Mary Evans -

What browser are you using, as the .eot file type is only used by Internet Explorer.

by Mary Evans -

The fonts need to be in the fonts directory of the theme you are using NOT the root directory of your Moodle site.

The CSS needs to be written just like this:
DO NOT MAKE ANY CHANGES TO THIS CODE.

@font-face {
    font-family: 'UKIJ Ekran';
    src: url([[font:theme|UKIJEkran.eot]]);
    src: url([[font:theme|UKIJEkran.eot]]) format('embedded-opentype'),
url([[font:theme|UKIJEkran.woff2]]) format('woff2'),
url([[font:theme|UKIJEkran.woff]]) format('woff'),
        url([[font:theme|UKIJEkran.ttf]]) format('truetype'),
        url([[font:theme|UKIJEkran.svg]]) format('svg');
}

I hope this helps you?

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Uyghur Maarip -

Thank you Mary Evans

I used Chrome and IE, still not showing properly. 

1. I uploaded the fonts in the fonts directory of the theme, 

2. CSS (main CSS) updated as the code you mentioned above. (Purged the caches)

3. ? Is there any changes in the admin dashboard? or any PHP file to be changed?

Still not properly showing.

Kind regards, Jan

by Uyghur Maarip -

Enlightlite 

fonts

.eot
                       .svg
                       .ttf
                       .otf
                       .woff

style
                       .eot
                       .svg
                       .ttf
                       .otf
                       .woff
                       font-awesome.min.css   (In this css I added these codes below)

@font-face {
font-family: 'UKIJ Ekran';
src: url('UKIJEkran.eot');
src: url('UKIJEkran.eot?#iefix') format('embedded-opentype'),
url('UKIJEkran.woff2') format('woff2'),
url('UKIJEkran.woff') format('woff'),
url('UKIJEkran.ttf') format('truetype'),
url('UKIJEkran.svg#UKIJEkran') format('svg');
}

And Disabled these codes in that css:
/*!@font-face{font-family:'FontAwesome';src:url('setting:fontwwwfontawesome*-webfont.eot?v=4.3.0');src:url('setting:fontwwwfontawesome-webfont.eot*?#iefix&v=4.3.0') format('embedded-opentype'),url('setting*:fontwwwfontawesome-webfont.woff2?v=4.3.0') format('woff2'),url*('setting:fontwwwfontawesome-webfont.woff?v=4.3.0') format('woff'),url*('setting:fontwwwfontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=4.3.0') format('truetype'*),url('setting:fontwwwfontawesome-webfont.svg?v=4.3*.0#fontawesomeregular') format('svg');font-weight:normal;font-style:normal * } *) */ 

This is the codes in Config.php:

defined('MOODLE_INTERNAL') || die();
$THEME->name = 'enlightlite';
$THEME->sheets = ['font-awesome.min'];
$THEME->editor_sheets = [];
$THEME->parents = ['boost'];
$THEME->enable_dock = false; $THEME->yuicssmodules = array(); $THEME->rendererfactory = 'theme_overridden_renderer_factory'; $THEME->requiredblocks = ''; $THEME->addblockposition = BLOCK_ADDBLOCK_POSITION_FLATNAV; $THEME->prescsscallback = 'theme_enlightlite_get_pre_scss'; $THEME->extrascsscallback = 'theme_enlightlite_get_extra_scss'; $THEME->csstreepostprocessor = 'theme_enlightlite_css_tree_post_processor'; $THEME->scss = function($theme) { return theme_enlightlite_get_main_scss_content($theme); }; $THEME->javascripts_footer = ['theme']; $THEME->rendererfactory = 'theme_overridden_renderer_factory'; $THEME->csspostprocess = 'theme_enlightlite_process_css';

Still not working :-

by Mary Evans -

Dear me but you appear to be making things worse not better.

The Font Awesome styles does not need to be added as this is in Moodle 3.4 already.

What you are missing is a .css file that tells your theme to use the new font you have added.

The CSS should look something like this...where the 'name of font' is the same name of the font you are talking about.

body { font-family: 'name of font'; }

by Mary Evans -

Hi Jan,

I have just downloaded Enlightlite thene and found it to be quite complicated whn it come to Fonts.

You need to look at other files in this theme.

The CSS for the fonts is different than most so that will need to be taken into account.

The files you need to look at are in the following location:

enlightlite/scss/enlightlite.scss

the sections related to fonts is from Line 50

$font_0: alegreyasansR;
$font_1: alegreyasansM;
$font_2: alegreyasansB;
$font_3: alegreyasansL;
$font_4: alegreyasansI;
$font_5: Arial;
$font_6: Helvetica;
$font_7: sans-serif;
$font_8: FontAwesome;
$font_9: fontawesome;
$fontwww: '/fonts/' !default;

and then lower down the page to Line 75 I think...

$url_0: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-regular/alegreyasans-regular-webfont.eot');
$url_1: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-regular/alegreyasans-regular-webfont.eot?#iefix');
$url_2: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-regular/alegreyasans-regular-webfont.woff2');
$url_3: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-regular/alegreyasans-regular-webfont.woff');
$url_4: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-regular/alegreyasans-regular-webfont.ttf');
$url_5: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-regular/alegreyasans-regular-webfont.svg#alegreya_sansregular');
$url_6: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-medium/alegreyasans-medium-webfont.eot');
$url_7: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-medium/alegreyasans-medium-webfont.eot?#iefix');
$url_8: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-medium/alegreyasans-medium-webfont.woff2');
$url_9: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-medium/alegreyasans-medium-webfont.woff');
$url_10: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-medium/alegreyasans-medium-webfont.ttf');
$url_11: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-medium/alegreyasans-medium-webfont.svg#alegreya_sansmedium');
$url_12: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-bold/alegreyasans-bold-webfont.eot');
$url_13: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-bold/alegreyasans-bold-webfont.eot?#iefix');
$url_14: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-bold/alegreyasans-bold-webfont.woff2');
$url_15: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-bold/alegreyasans-bold-webfont.woff');
$url_16: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-bold/alegreyasans-bold-webfont.ttf');
$url_17: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-bold/alegreyasans-bold-webfont.svg#alegreya_sansbold');
$url_18: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-light/alegreyasans-light-webfont.eot');
$url_19: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-light/alegreyasans-light-webfont.eot?#iefix');
$url_20: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-light/alegreyasans-light-webfont.woff2');
$url_21: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-light/alegreyasans-light-webfont.woff');
$url_22: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-light/alegreyasans-light-webfont.ttf');
$url_23: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-light/alegreyasans-light-webfont.svg#alegreya_sanslight');
$url_24: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-italic/alegreyasans-italic-webfont.eot');
$url_25: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-italic/alegreyasans-italic-webfont.eot?#iefix');
$url_26: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-italic/alegreyasans-italic-webfont.woff2');
$url_27: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-italic/alegreyasans-italic-webfont.woff');
$url_28: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-italic/alegreyasans-italic-webfont.ttf');
$url_29: url($fontwww+'alegreyasans-italic/alegreyasans-italic-webfont.svg#alegreya_sansitalic');
$url_30: url([[pix:theme|bg-black-trans23]]);
$url_31: url([[pix:theme|ic-forward-img]]);
$url_32: url([[pix:theme|ic-backward-img]]);
$url_33: url([[pix:theme|bg-pattern02]]);
$url_34: url([[pix:theme|bg-pattern01]]);
$url_35: url([[pix:theme|bg-black-trans65]]);

These seem to be related to the settings for patterns etc.,

I can try and help you but I really think you would be better contacting the Company who made this theme!

Cheers

Mary

You will see that there is another font being used.