Glossary Entries Permanent

Glossary Entries Permanent

by Derek Postlewaite -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

I've like to make my glossary entries permanent. In other words, if I were to make a glossary for a particular topic in my course, I'd like it to remain in the glossary when the class has new enrollments in the following school year. My school uses Moodle 2.6. Currently, entries disappear when a new semester begins.

Thanks!

Derek

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Derek Postlewaite

Re: Glossary Entries Permanent

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Normally, Glossary entries remain available unless they are deleted or if the course is reset. Is the course being reset each semester? Are you 'losing' other activities too?

You could take a backup of the Glossary and restore it in to your new course each semester, or take an export of the entries at the end of each semester and import it at the start of the new semester.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jon Bolton

by Derek Postlewaite -

I'm not sure if they are being reset. I am not losing activities, and all quizzes etc have open dates and due dates that need updated as the school year moves along. My glossaries remain, but entries are nowhere to be found. I would love to incorporate glossaries in the classroom. My forum questions disappear each year also if that is an indication of any type of reset.

Thank you for your suggestions. I'm also leaning towards creating a page and manually entering in all terms and definitions. Students may use it as a guide. However, it won't have the global hyperlinks that glossaries provide.

In reply to Derek Postlewaite

by Jon Bolton -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Yes, that definitely sounds like reset. Have you talked to your Moodle admin about your need to keep the Glossary entries? They may be able to give you a course that isn't reset, that will allow you to host your recurring activities. You can then just import them into your new course whenever you want.

Exporting/importing entries will also work well, you just need to remember to export before the course is reset. You can also backup your forum.

Yes, you oculd create a page, but you'll lose the autolinking, search, categories and keyword functionality. I suppose it depends on how useful you want it to be.