Developing image heavy activites (flashcards) optimised for both desktops & Moodle Mobile?

Developing image heavy activites (flashcards) optimised for both desktops & Moodle Mobile?

by Doug I -
Number of replies: 1

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of re-developing our material to work equally well on desktops & on Moodle Mobile, including the ability to use MM's download/caching functions for offline use.

My biggest challenge at the moment is deciding on how to create our image heavy flashcards for use on both mobiles & screens of up to 40". These are my requirements:

• Moodle Mobile should only display/download the low res. image
  • Browsers should display the full res. image (for screens up to 40"!)
  • Non-technical users need to be able to create the flashcards*
  • Use a single "one-size-fits-all" activity

*Writing up a script or two to facilitate that isn't out of the question though.

Currently, I provide HTML templates for each style of flashcard, which our teachers then edit in Atto, however this leaves Moodle Mobile downloading & storing the full sized images.

I've done some tests with srcset and it seems that MM downloads all of the images, not just the ones for the device's resolution.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how this could be achieved?

I've found a couple of solutions that can rewrite images on the fly, using a mixture of htaccess, javascript &/or PHP. But would that work for data requests made via REST, as done by Moodle Mobile?

Many thanks in advance!

D

Average of ratings: -