automatically scored open-ended reading comprehension questions

automatically scored open-ended reading comprehension questions

wót William Merrifield -
Anzahl Antworten: 6

Hey all,

I've been pulling my hair out trying to trouble-shoot an issue with our Moodle lessons.  It seems like I'm trying to do something that Moodle doesn't want to do. Hopefully someone here has figured this out.

We have written text in the Lesson activity. What I'd like to do is:

1. Every page or so of written text I want to put a set of reading comprehension questions to make sure that students are understanding.

2. I want to provide answers to these questions so that students can self-check their comprehension.

3. What I've discovered is that I need the reading comprehension questions to be essay type questions because short-answer questions don't provide enough space and I don't have multiple-choice questions developed.

4. I DON'T want to grade these questions. These are simply a way for students to check their comprehension. Currently, I have setup a content page after the essay question with correct answers.

5. I want students to get credit for completing the lesson.

As it currently stands, I end up have 17-20 essay questions per lesson that require a teacher/tutor to manually grade. With 20-40 students this becomes incredibly cumbersome.

Has anyone figured out a way to accomplish what I'm trying to accomplish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

PS I am using Moodle 3.1 and Essentials Theme.

Als Antwort auf William Merrifield

Re: automatically scored open-ended reading comprehension questions

wót Daniel Thies -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers

You can set custom scoring value of the essay questions to zero and include on automatically graded question with a positive score.

Als Antwort auf Daniel Thies

wót William Merrifield -

Can you elaborate a bit on this? I'm not sure I follow.

I have set the custom scoring to zero.

What exactly do you mean by including an automatically graded question with a positive score? How will that change the instructor's need to manually go in a grade each essay question?

Thank you for the response.

wót Daniel Thies -
Nutzerbild von Core developers Nutzerbild von Plugin developers Nutzerbild von Testers

If you want students to have a grade when they finish, there needs to be one question which has a non zero graded. The essay scores do not need to be graded although you may want to change the string that says they will be.

Als Antwort auf Daniel Thies

wót William Merrifield -

Daniel,

Thank you again for the response. I have tried this and the problem I face is that it gives the students a grade based on all the answers, not just the correct answer. For example.

1. I have 9 essay questions.

2. I add one multiple-choice question where every choice is correct (the one non zero graded question you suggested).

3. Once the students finish the lesson they get a grade of 1% since they have received a score on only 1 out of 10 total questions.

I am trying to figure out how to get around this but have been unsuccessful.

Am I missing something from what you have suggested?

Bill

wót Daniel Thies -

One each of the essay questions you need to set the score to zero. This is the relative weight that they are assigned.