course menu/control panel block from Humboldt State

course menu/control panel block from Humboldt State

par Peter Campbell,
Nombre de réponses : 7
Hi, folks. I just installed the course menu/control panel block from Humboldt State University, as well as the file manager, quickmail, and course program blocks. I simply put them in the blocks directory as instructed. But when I visited the admin page, the blocks didn't show up. I also got an error message -- see attached.

Can you please shed any light on what went wrong?

Thanks.

Peter

--
Peter Campbell
Montclair State University
Moyenne des évaluations  -
En réponse à Peter Campbell

Re: course menu/control panel block from Humboldt State

par Helen Foster,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators
Hi Peter,

The error message is due to the blocks not being installed in the correct directory i.e. extracting the zip files directly to the blocks directory has resulted in too many directories being created. Please try extracting the zip files locally then putting the following directories in moodle/blocks:

course_menu
course_program
quickmail
En réponse à Helen Foster

par Peter Campbell,
Hi, Helen. I did as you suggested, i.e., extract the zip files locally and then put the directories in moodle/blocks as you instructed. I'm still not seeing the links in the admin panel. Nor am I seeing the blocks appear in the drop-down menu when I turn editing on.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Peter

par Helen Foster,
Avatar Core developers Avatar Documentation writers Avatar Moodle HQ Avatar Particularly helpful Moodlers Avatar Plugin developers Avatar Testers Avatar Translators
Peter, sorry for not explaining things so well. Let me try again...

It's probably best to try installing blocks one at a time. In each case you should copy the appropriate directory to moodle/blocks then visit your site admin page to complete the installation. You should obtain a success message - if not, please copy and paste the error message here.

The screenshot shows that the file manager has been installed successfully. Thus it should appear in Administration >> Configuration >> Blocks as well as in the Blocks drop-down menu. Please could you confirm whether this is the case.
En réponse à Helen Foster

par Peter Campbell,
Helen, yes; the file manager successfully installed. I went back and tried to re-install the others one at a time. It worked! Quickmail and course menu both installed successfully. Course program will take some coding changes, so I'll leave this til later. I wasn't able to put the block_course_menu.php file in the lang directory, so there is still some bit of oddness going on. But once I get permission from the sys admin to write to this directory, I should be good to go.

I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for your help!

Peter

par Helen Foster,
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your feedback - it's good to know you've succeeded in installing the blocks. smile

par Peter Campbell,
Helen - just installed the block_course_menu.php file into the lang directory. Works great! Thanks again for your help.

Does anyone know how to make a block such as the Humboldt State Course Menu appear for every course as a default setting?

Peter