Too large Latex formulas

Too large Latex formulas

by Ivica Matotek -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Testers

Hi!

I have two servers, they have the same Moodle version, same setting of TeX notation, but there is difference in displaying formulas.

Table 1 Table 2
HTML code is the same. Only thing that is different (that I can think of) is server OS. On right side is old Debian Wheezy, and on the left is new Debian Jessie. Does anybody encounter with this problem?

Ivica
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ivica Matotek

Re: Too large Latex formulas

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ivica,

Did you mean to include some pictures? If so, they are missing.

In reply to AL Rachels

by Ivica Matotek -
Picture of Testers

Hi!

There were some pictures, but I don't know why there are not shown:

by Daniel Thies -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Ivica,

The first image is displayed using the TeX notation filter using a mimetex binary which produces larger images. You can improve this by installing the texlive package in Debian. This install latex and other binaries on the system that will produce much better images.

The second image seems to be using MathJax filter which uses javascript to match the appearance to the surrounding text. You may want to configure this on the other server.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Daniel Thies

by Ivica Matotek -
Picture of Testers

Hi!

I have only copied html code from one server to another, I don't know how was created original html code.

Ivica

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Along with what Daniel says, if you do want to continue to use the Tex notation filter, but have the filters default text size more closely match the rest of your text, you can go to yourmoodle/filter/tex/pix.php and look for this line down around line 61:

$texexp = '\Large '.$texexp;

change the word Large to small like so:

$texexp = '\small '.$texexp;

or simply delete or comment out that line
\\$texexp = '\Large '.$texexp;

and purge all caches from  Site administration > Development > Purge all caches to make that change take action
and delete all images from your moodledata sub folder filter/tex
and refresh your browser you should see all images smaller

This change will HAVE to be made again after each Moodle upgrade or you will start getting the larger sizes again!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to AL Rachels

by Ivica Matotek -
Picture of Testers

Hi!

There is no change, I have tried to comment line, or to put small, delete moodledata/filter/pix, purge Cache, change browsers but there is no change in size.

Ivica