Request to review a competency doesn't show up for a teacher

Request to review a competency doesn't show up for a teacher

by Mirjami Elg -
Number of replies: 9

Hi!

On the competencies FAQ page https://docs.moodle.org/31/en/Competencies_FAQ it is mentioned that the capability competency:usercompetencyreview should allow a user to review competencies.  I have set the capability for the teacher role but review requests do not appear in her Learning plan block.  A teacher can manually rate the competencies  in the competency breakdown report but she cannot get the requests from students which is inconsistent.

The capability works as expected for a Manager role.  Does the feature require some other capabilities? 

I'm working with version 3.1.4+.

Thank s in advance!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mirjami Elg

Re: Request to review a competency doesn't show up for a teacher

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Try making a new role assigned to the sysetem context with the capability - then assign this role to the teacher. If you just give the teacher the capability in the teacher role, then because they are only teachers in courses, and competencies go beyond courses, it will not work. 

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mirjami Elg -

Thank you! I got it working.  

But now this teacher sees all the request for competency review not just from students on her own courses. 

In reply to Mirjami Elg

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - the solution for that is unfortunately a bit more complex. It basically involves creating the new role as before but instead of assigning it in the system context, you assign it in the user context and then you assign the teacher as reviewer of all the students in his/her course in the user context. It works a bit like the Parent role in that respect. If I have time and I remember over the weekend I will try to write this into the documentation.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joost Elshoff -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

Hi Mary,

This sounds like something that should be added (enable/disable) to a teacher-role by default, don't you think? That way, it'll be just toggling on/off from somewhere in a relevant administration item, instead of manually adding a set of permissions to a role. Saves the system administrators a significant amount of tweaking with the risk of messing it up.

Would it be useful to add this as a new feature request to the tracker?

In the meanwhile, I'm really looking forward to this part of the documentation.

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Mary Cooch -

Hello Joost- you have just reminded me about this documentation, thanksblush 

About adding it to the teacher role by default as a toggle on/off, I don't see how it could work because teachers are teachers in the course context and competencies and learning plans belong to the student in the site context- hence the need to make a new role - I am not entirely sure. Anyway, I will have a go at writing this role later.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Here is some documentation on a custom Competency reviewer role. Anyone please feel free to improve.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joost Elshoff -

Thanks very much! I went through the manual and found a few steps missing that can easily be added:

Assigning the teacher to one or several students

• As administrator, go to Site Administration > Users > search and select user
  • Open his/her profile, Preferences to see Permissions for this user
  • Click the link Assign roles relative to this user (in the Roles section)
  • Select custom role (e.g. Competency Reviewer) and add the teacher to this student

Also, it's worth mentioning that the block Learning plans is only visible as long as student(s) have requested review of one or more competencies for this teacher. If there are no requests pending, the block remains invisible. A pointer for sys admins would be to have this block in a very visible area on the user Dashboard (-10 on left or right) so it doesn't go unnoticed when a teacher goes to his dashboard.

In reply to Joost Elshoff

by Mary Cooch -

Great smile Feel free to change it and add the info about the learning plans block (I am off to my Russian lesson shortly)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Joost Elshoff -

Done! And... good luck with your Russian class.