How do students get the enrolment key?

How do students get the enrolment key?

by Thierry Millère -
Number of replies: 20

Hi all!

I guess everything is in the title... I set an self-enrolment routine on our website and also enabled the enrolment key functionnality. But how are students supposed to get that key? Is it sent by email (which would be cool), or is it just supposed to be "told" to the student?

Thanks for enlighting me.

Thierry

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Thierry Millère

Re: How do students get the enrolment key?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi - both are fine. (As I already replied in the French forums wink )

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

I send the enrollment to my students via email.

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Thierry Millère -

Hi Rick

You mean you PERSONALLY sent the email... it wasn't sent automatically by the system, right ?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thierry

by Jon Bolton -

It can't be sent by the system - the enrolment key allows anyone with an account on your site who knows the key to self-enrol on a course (and optionally, if you have email based self-registration on too, anyone can create an account).

The enrolment key is set at course level but until someone enrols in the course, there is no relationship between the course and the user - so Moodle has no way of knowing who to send the enrolment key to.

In the past, I've given out enrolment keys manually by email, over the phone, in a face-to-face conversation, or in pre-course handouts.

by Rick Jerz -

Yes, personally.  This is really no big deal in the various universities where I have taught.  The university systems always provide at least one (and sometimes more than one) email per student.  At my current university, I can download the class roster as a CSV or Excel file, which contains the students' email address.  I just copy these addresses and paste them into my personal email (usually using the BCC email address line.)  On this webpage of mine, I provide an example of my "Welcome" email.

Actually, I like using my email client (Mac Mail) for this purpose. When a new course starts, I can search my email client for "MBA8140 Welcome", find my last semester's Welcome email, edit it a little, and send it to the new group of students.  I am one who doesn't mind using different products to achieve the results that I want.  Moodle is great, but there are times where other software becomes a more efficient solution.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Does This Display -

I would expect that when you open the eye for self-enrollment, a msg.box or something would come up giving info on how to send the enrollment key.  It might be a command button.  Pressing the command button would take you to the next step (so you are not chasing rabbits trying to hunt it down).  The next step might be a link to set up PayPal.  Or the next step might be to enable email address of the person who is enrolling to be automatically sent to you.  Probably something simple like that.

In reply to Does This Display

by Rick Jerz -

I am not sure if you have the enrollment process in reverse.

I use Moodle's student self-enrollment.  I do this because I do not have students into the course yet.  So even if I had a button to send the enrollment key, my moodle course doesn't have the students' email addresses in it yet because students have not enrolled.  When students self enroll, this is when they enter their email addresses.  So I first email my students the enrollment key via private (or personal) email based upon the schools roster, then students can self-enroll.  If one had all the students and emails already into Moodle, there would be no need to email the enrollment key.  Well, this is how I do it.  There might be other ways.

We have had some discussion about this enrollment key issue in another Moodle forum.  This discussion might be of interest to you.  In it, I provide my method and even an example of my Welcome email that I send to students.

Relative to Paypal, I once tried this and it seemed to work fine. It is worth experimenting with this feature so that you know exactly what it does and what your students will see.  I suggest experimenting when a feature involves the exchange of money.  I am not sure what percent of Moodle sites use PayPal, but my guess is that it is probably less than 10% overall.  This is why a step in the process to set up PayPal does not happen.  But if you read about setting up PayPal, it is really not that hard.  Also, this assumes that your students already have a PayPal account created separately. Moodle doesn't set up these accounts for you, this is done on the PayPal website.

Here is the good news about Moodle's self-enrollment.  I have been using it exclusively for 8 years.  I have had around 2000 students use it to access my courses.  I have had probably around 1%-2% of students not succeed with it (I have to manually intervene.) To me, this is pretty good success, probably as good as any other method.  The Universities where I have taught seem to sometimes miss getting students initially into their LMSs, so maybe they have same 1%-2% problems.

Yes, maybe it would be nice to have a simple system such as "I have this MS Word file with students' names.  Click this button and take care of everything."  But due to the variety of ways that people use Moodle, I doubt that this will ever happen.  As an alternative, turn over this task to someone else (such as a Moodle Partner) and don't worry about it.  Pay someone else to do this for you.

You will get a lot of suggestions here on moodle.org about ways to run your moodle.  However, the community is always interested in ways to improve moodle.  I hope that you know that there is a Moodle Tracker system where you can post feature requests.   So I am not trying to disregard your ideas, I am just trying to provide you some insight into how one can use Moodle. (My real role is professor first, then moodle administrator, and then system administrator.)

by Rahul Barpha -

Hello Thierry,

You can user " Enrollment upon approval" plugin for  student self-enrolment. Please see below plugin link. this plugin fulfill your requirement.

The enrollment plugin "enrol on approval" adds an approval step into the course enrollment process. Users will be informed by mail as soon as their course application has been approved/ rejected. 

https://moodle.org/plugins/enrol_apply

Thanks

by Does This Display -

I would expect a "flow chart" at least as good as follows:

self enroll button  >  enter your PayPal (or whatever Pay method) e.mail address  >  student form to be completed by student  >  student pays on-line  > 

DECISION: Did Student Pay? 

if  no   >  go back to page where given choice to enroll

if yes   >  send enrollment key to student's PayPal (or whatever Pay method) e.mail address

by Jon Bolton -

No need for a flowchart. You're talking about two different types of enrolment:

• Self-enrolment (with or without an enrolment key)
  • PayPal enrolment - which takes payment and then automatically enrols the student in the course with no  intervention by the teacher.

The documentation is very clear about these and other enrolment methods.

And yes, your name does display. So does the real name on your other account.

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Does This Display -

Not sure what you mean, but I'll try.

Right now I am curious about my other account.  Maybe I accidentally created another.  Does one account automatically switch to another somehow?  How do you even know I have another account?  I keep wondering where things are that I expect to see on the dashboard.  I see Alg.1 and Site Administration.  I think once or twice I MIGHT have seen the skeleton courses Chemistry Tutoring and Guess And Check Discovery that I wrote while waiting for clear direction on how to make these titles appear on the dashboard.  While looking for them I keep seeing some page come up I merely wrote stuff on just to see where it displays.  Seems it only displays when I don't expect it.

by Rick Jerz -

My guess is that it is up to you to keep track of your accounts.  For example, if one decides to use gmail email accounts, you can set up as many as you want.  Gmail doesn't know that you have several accounts and tries to combine them, it is left to you to manage.  This is what happens on many "public" systems.  Just like passwords... it is up to you to remember and manage these.

One challenge with many of these LMS's (and other systems like blogs) is for you to keep track of what you have done. You have a lot of flexibility with products like moodle.  For me, I keep a log of what I have done with my Moodle using Microsoft Word.  I would go crazy trying to remember everything without my own documentation.  If you are not doing so, consider starting a Word file and call it "Moodle Notes" (for example.)

I am one who believes that the more disciplined and organized a person is, the more success they will have with these "electronic" educational tools.

In your comment about "expect to see on the Dashboard," have you read the documentation about the Dashboard yet?

In reply to Rick Jerz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Donald - to make things easier would you like me either 

1. to change your name to Donald on this account (instead of Does this display?) You can do it yourself, but I can do it if it makes life easier for you
  2. OR - change your password on the other account that Jon linked to so you can use that again? Click here to see that account
  3. I can see the two emails you used for the two accounts you have - if you can message me  at mary@moodle.com then I  can tell you which emails use which and we can perhaps get you one account with your name and an email which will be easy for you to remember

As for what you see regarding Chemistry and so on - well-that relates to your MoodleCloud site accounts and Rick has responded about what is seen on those and the dashboard,

In reply to Jon Bolton

by Does This Display -

It has been a long time since I have heard anyone encourage programming without first flowcharting.

I think programmers of moodlecloud might want to consider what students expect, what their habits are with user-friendly software and write flowcharts around those expectations before actually writing the programs.

I think moodlecloud could lend itself to just as many accommodations and features.  Just because there might be command buttons that would lead to expected results (such as communicating efficiently with PayPal), one should still be able to easily insert their own paths.

by Rick Jerz -

Hi Donald,

From what I am gathering, we might be wandering away from the real issue.  It appears that you want to use the PayPal feature of Moodle, right?  Have you read the documentation?  If so, what is it that you don't understand?  It seems more productive to me to take the discussion away from how programmers should flowchart and program to what you really want to do.

Moodle is a free LMS, and I think that you can see that there are many people trying to help you.  If you don't like what you are finding, simply pick a different LMS.

MoodleCloud is your opportunity to run moodle without any need to set up your own server or buy anything.  It uses the "real" moodle.  However, since it is free, it has some limitations that you can get around by paying for more advanced features.  Some would consider MoodleCloud as a place to experiment, however, it really could be used for people like you who might be wanting to try moodle for a course, just to get the hang of it.

I have used the other major LMS, and I personally find Moodle the product that does take into account student learning.  But if it doesn't fit your own view, simply pick another LMS.  By doing so, you don't negatively affect Moodle's "profitability."

It is not odd to not have access to flowcharts for many software-based products.  For example, could one point me to the flowchart of how Microsoft Windows works?  I just searched and came up empty.  For Moodle's database, you can get to an ER diagram if you wish.  But I wouldn't waste my time.  I think that you want to explore using moodle, the first step is learning, and that's where I would focus my time.  As another example, I sometimes sell books on Amazon, but Amazon does't provide a flowchart for this.  I just read the documentation and do what it says.  Also, I have never had any of my students as for a flowchart.  (I think that in another comment to you I provided you a link to the videos that I do give to my students.)

I think that I have mentioned to you elsewhere that there is a Moodle Tracker system for feature requests.  If you search it for my name, you will see that I actively use it.  So with Moodle, the programmers are listening (you will see some of my feature requests being closed because they have been implemented.)

At this point, I would have to support Jon's comment to you that the Moodle documentation is very clear.  I don't want to pretend that I am a mind reader or anything like that, but it appears that your desire to use PayPal might be more advanced than your general knowledge at this point.  It appears that you are not understanding your own role in your own moodle since you cannot figure out how many accounts you have and how to change your name.  But I also see that others have tried to help (and even do this for you.)  Others will not run your Moodle for you for free.  It is my belief that one can only run moodle by themselves if they are willing to learn how to do it themselves. 

I have used the other major LMSs, and they all require learning.  None provide any flowcharts. The other LMSs also do not document their products as well as moodle.  But if you find a product that better suits your needs, go for it.  If you want to try moodle, keep at it.  Ask questions.  And learn.  If you have ideas to improve moodle, post them in Tracker.

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Jon Bolton -

This is clearly going off the original topic - and I considered not responding - but I do need to make this point:

I'm not encouraging lack of flowcharting or otherwise. The point is that you don't need programming skills to use Moodle. The programming has already been done by experienced and competent software developers, most of whom also have an education background. Moodle is a system that has had a strong pedagogical focus from its inception.

As a user (be that an educator or a student), you don't need a flowchart to use it. Please take time to read the documentation. There are lots of videos too. Yes, it will take a lot time and it can be a steep learning curve, but it will be worth the investment.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Derek Chirnside -

I think Don, I'd respond to Mary's post.  

I also support what Don and Rick have said.  I'm not sure personally if it is helpful to see using Moodle as 'programming'.  I can see some benefit for your own clarification to create a flow chart: but you need to use the documentation to figure out what Moodle is, not just how you think it should be.  I know real programmers dislike reading the manual, but in this case we probably need to if you can't figue it out just by using it.  If you tell me the documentation is unclear then that is another matter.  Then we try to improve it.

Good luck.

-Derek

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Rick Jerz -

Derek, I too was thinking that if one wanted to create their own flowchart to help them learn, that this might be a good exercise.

I also thought about how one would create a flowchart for using their smartphone.  Let's see, first you login in, then you check your calendar, then your email, then your stock.  Or should stock come before email?  In our modern world, some things just do not flow from step to step.  And my flowchart would look different than a teenager's flowchart, yet, we both get the job done.

So this might also be the case with enrollments: Pick the enrollment (icons or apps) system that makes sense for you, then learn how to use it.

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Flowcharting? It's the 1980s... Yay!!

Sorry - I'm probably not helping tongueout