Boost 3.2; Remove my courses in navigation

Boost 3.2; Remove my courses in navigation

by Simon Eidenskog -
Number of replies: 9

Hi!

I'm using Moodle 3.2.1 with theme Boost. I want to remove the auto-generated list with 

courses which appears below users 'Private files' in left navigation. Thou many students

are enrolled in many courses, the list seems to be very long.  For me accessing courses through

My page, or My Moodle will be a better way. 

What's the best way to configure this, both to the default theme but also for mobile and tablet

(and also Moodle Mobile app).

In previous version, I've used the theme  BCU. It had the drop-down menu "My sites", which contained

enrolled courses - and I really liked that. How can I use a similar option with the Boost-theme?

Regards

Simon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Simon Eidenskog

Re: Boost 3.2; Remove my courses in navigation

by Kathrin Osswald -

Hi Simon,

thanks for your thread here in the forum. At the german community of university campuses we already discussed the issue with this navigation node in the new Boost flat navigation. We see this problem, too and think that there must improvements to this.

As I did not find an existing ticket in the Moodle tracker I created a new one: https://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-58136. If you like my solution proposal you can vote for this issue.

As I said in the ticket, I'm curious what Moodle HQ thinks about this.

Cheers, Kathrin

PS: This node can be deleted from the menu list quite easily. However this would be a core hack as the menu is not built with a renderer (that could be overwritten). And a good solution from Moodle core would be the best, of course.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Kathrin Osswald

by Simon Eidenskog -

Hi Kathrin!

Thanks for your reply. I've liked and voted for your proposal. For us it's also similar,

when students are enrolled in many (10-20+) courses.

How did you delete the node by core hack?

Greetings

/Simon

by Alexander Bias -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Simon,

I'm working with Kathrin and would like to let you know that I spent some time this week to transform our local hack to remove the MyCourses menu item in Moodle's nav drawer into a clean local plugin. The plugin is published on https://github.com/moodleuulm/moodle-local_boost_navdrawerfumbling and already waiting for peer review in the Moodle plugin repository.

Have fun smile

Thanks,
Alex

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Alexander Bias

by Alexander Bias -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Simon,

please note that I have renamed the plugin to local_boostnavigation for several reasons and thus the Github repo has changed to https://github.com/moodleuulm/moodle-local_boostnavigation.

Thanks,
Alex

by Simon Eidenskog -

Hi Alex,

and thanks for a great work! When I'm using the plugin (version 3.2.1) it's possible to

hide Calendar and Private files. When I'm trying to hide My courses, the main node "My courses"

disappears but still the courses are showing.

I would like to access all the courses through my dashboard. Do you know a way around this?

Greetings

/Simon

by Alexander Bias -

Hi Simon,

> and thanks for a great work! When I'm using the plugin (version 3.2.1) it's possible to hide Calendar and Private files. When I'm trying to hide My courses, the main node "My courses" disappears but still the courses are showing.

Well, all the courses nodes should also disappear and in my tests they did. But of course it's possible that I missed something. Would you mind creating a ticket on https://github.com/moodleuulm/moodle-local_boostnavigation/issues and upload a screenshot there?

> I would like to access all the courses through my dashboard. Do you know a way around this?

Currently, the plugin is built to remove the Mycourses node (and the course nodes) from the nav drawer, thus you won't be able to access the courselist in the nav drawer anymore. But you are free to add Moodle core's course overview block to your dashboard.

Thanks,
Alex

by Simon Eidenskog -

> Well, all the courses nodes should also disappear and in my tests they did. But of course it's possible that I missed something. Would you mind creating a ticket on https://github.com/moodleuulm/moodle-local_boostnavigation/issues and upload a screenshot there?

Definitely!

> Currently, the plugin is built to remove the Mycourses node (and the course nodes) from the nav drawer, thus you won't be able to access the courselist in the nav drawer anymore. But you are free to add Moodle core's course overview block to your dashboard.

Ah, thanks for that!

/Simon

by Mignon Smit -

Alexander

I have not installed or tested this plugin. I am looking for a way to RENAME the word COURSES in the navigational menu to something like e.g. topics. Is this also an option for formatting in this plugin of yours?

Thank you

Mignon