Automated Backup Pending

Automated Backup Pending

by eric w -
Number of replies: 4
Background info:  

My cron.php hadn't ran for two weeks due to a problem. I fixed the problem, and started it manually. However, the process was stopped before it finished. So I then began to manually run tasks that should have normally ran automatically, in an effort to make up for the stopped processes which stopped automatic_backups.php.

So now I've noticed that some backups have ran automatically VIA the cron system... So now, my backup report shows timestamps for the following:

The first ~ 300 courses show a timestamp that reflects when I ran cron.php manually, the next ~200 courses have timestamp which reflects automation, and the last 59 courses show a "Automated Backup Pending" status, as shown in the image.

Questions:

1. Should I have just left it alone after botching the manual execution of cron.php?  If so, would the automation have resumed without issues?

2. What causes the status of Automated Backup Pending?  How can I fix this?

Thanks.

Attachment Capture (1).PNG
Attachment Capture.PNG
Average of ratings: -
In reply to eric w

Re: Automated Backup Pending

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Well, you could wait until March 3 to see what happens.

If it doesn't straighten out the you might have to do what I had to do once to help another Moodle admin person out.

There are three tables concerning backups that actually track backups.

mysql> show tables like '%backup%';
+-------------------------------+
| Tables_in_moodle31 (%backup%) |
| mdl_backup_controllers        |
| mdl_backup_courses            |
| mdl_backup_logs               |

I had to trun off automated backups so no new one would kick in, kill off any process related to backups, clean out moodledata/temp/backups/ so that it contained nothing, then  truncate all 3 of the tables above - leave the tables, just remove all the data in them .... 0 rows.

Go back into setup of automated backups and set the schedule.   Then waited until the next day to see how it went.

It did complete in the allotted time ... no errors ... and nothing left in moodledata/temp/backup/ related and the reports showed things should work in future.   I did come back to that server in a week and checked.   And then again in another week and checked.

In your case, however, with 600 courses, it might take longer than over night.   Just how large are courses?  Now large here doesn't necessarily mean size ... could mean processing large ... like a course with 1000 quizzes - that one will take some time ... processing time.

There is an addon/plugin that you could add to your site called 'course sizes'.   It will attempt to calculate the backup size of the courses.   

One better than tha, however, is command line moosh.  It has a a course-info option that provides more accurate data, me thinks.

Got any course in the 90Gig range?    Yep, that's right.   That one course could kill off automated backups for sure.

Too bad the automated backup doesn't give you an option to choose which courses to exclude. :\

On that server that has the 90+Gig course (also has a few others in 60+,50+, and 20+'s GIG ranges ... I have to use three scheduled cron jobs outside of Moodle and the /admin/cli/backup.php script that loops through course ID's to get a backup of all courses in a week.  The largest course slated for beginning late Sat. night and will run until Sun some time.

Just hope you are not in the same boat! ;)

'spirit of sharing', Ken

In reply to Ken Task

Re: Automated Backup Pending

by eric w -
Thanks again, Ken! smile

For the most part, I believe you are correct in saying that it will likely run on March 3rd - which is the next scheduled backup.   If it does not, then the information you have provided will be very useful in troubleshooting the problem.

I'll update this thread on Saturday morning.

In reply to eric w

Re: Automated Backup Pending [SOLVED]

by eric w -

The backups ran fine on Friday night, all is well.  smile    I just had to wait it out, as Ken suggested,

In reply to eric w

Re: Automated Backup Pending [SOLVED]

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Good!  Cause truncating those tables to 'regain control' would have meant 'starting over' with automated backups and you'd have some backups that you didn't want ... thus adding to the processing, etc. the first run ... until it settled in again (hopefully to stay this time).

'spirit of sharing', Ken